Will there ever be an i3/i5/i7 Macbook Pro 13"? If so, when?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr. Scientist, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Dr. Scientist macrumors member

Hey everyone.

So the question is: "Will there ever be an i3/i5/i7 Macbook Pro 13"? If so, when?"

I know there have been various debates about whether the i3 would even be worth it over the C2D or that the i7 would be overkill. Whatever. I just want to know if there ever will be any chance that Apple will put any of these processors, and if so, when?

I was hoping somewhere in the summer before school starts, I was hoping to get a 13" because it's portable, and honestly, I can't afford the 15".

Thanks.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It'll happen when Nvidia is allowed to put integrated graphics chips on intel boards that support the iX chips.

3. UKBeast macrumors 6502

There will never be i3 macbook pro.

Might be i5 or i7 later, but not in near future.

4. gigi11192 macrumors member

any chance you can share why you think so, buddy. :confused:

i have the same question basically, i am also waiting for another update around October or something.

5. Benjones-KY macrumors member

There won't be an i3 in my opinion because Apple values higher performance. The i3 isn't Apples lower voltage CPUs. They still come in 35 TDP just like the i7s. Apple will probably just wait until the 25 TDP i5 CPUs aren't really costly. Also, with nvidia making the new integrated GPU specifically for the 13" I doubt they will switch really quickly. Who knows though.

6. iketeru macrumors member

7. Dr. Scientist thread starter macrumors member

So... basically...

There won't be an iX 13" Macbook Pro by September?

Oh noooooes :(.

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You just have to search the forums to find an answer.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/19...ore-2-duo-choice-for-new-13-inch-macbook-pro/

9. DuaneDibbley macrumors newbie

I doubt there ever will be an i5/i7 13" Macbook Pro.

There's not enough room, too much heat and Intel are being pricks about it.

Unless Apple use PA Semi to make their own chipset to run the thing and allow nVidia to do what they want. But I doubt it will ever happen because that would eat up a considerable amount of money for very little gain.

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

No, Apple should remove their idea of an integrated GPU. A $1000 notebook should come with a dedicated GPU.

Intel is going to continue with their integrated GPU for a very long time. You're going to see C2D when Sandy Bridge comes and everybody else has quad cores CPU if Apple keeping doing this :rolleyes:

11. Dr. Scientist thread starter macrumors member

Hm, now I'm thinking of getting a refurbished 15" Macbook Pro, instead. I can't afford an i5, and since I'd be sticking with a Core 2 Duo anyway, would it REALLY be that bad if I was just doing homework on it?

I posted a thread about this.

12. mark28 macrumors 68000

It's been reported that the current core i5 runs cooler than the older C2D MBP's ;)

So I don't know where everybody gets their information from that the i5 supposedly runs hotter when people are having MBP that runs actually much cooler now with the i5 and i7 than the previous models.

Apple just doesn't want the 13 inch to be the best selling MBP again like last year, they want to sell also 15 inch and 17 inch models.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I highly doubt it's to prevent the 13-inch from selling. Regardless of what Apple does, the 13-inch MacBook/Pro will most likely sell more than the 15 and 17-inch MacBook Pro. It's got price and in size going for it and students go crazy over it.

Like what people have said, there is no Core i CPU because of limitations: size and the fact that Apple doesn't want to use the Intel HD GPU as the only GPU. I haven't done a search but can the Intel HD GPU work with OpenCL? If not, then that's a huge limitation if Apple is pushing OpenCL in the future.

14. iPunk macrumors member

My guess is yes, in about 2-300 more days. Unless apple seriously goes with AMD...

15. UKBeast macrumors 6502

There was not much spec differences between 13inch and 15inch last year, they were all using the same architecture but the reason why it was the bestseller is i think :

1. It is the most affordable one.

2. 13inch is really a laptop, it is lightweight and small in comparance to others. So its form factor is perfect for casual users. I think 15inches and 17inches are not laptops, they are just portable computers, it is really annoying when you want to go out with your 15inch comp.

3. If apple were to use i5 or i7 in 13inches, its price would bump. They have to keep the price more or less the same of the previous generations.

I think 13inches will be the best seller again..

16. gigi11192 macrumors member

anyway, whatever it happens, when the next update comes,i will go for it. But now i will just let the wait continue... just want to take another chance. how about you guys?

17. UKBeast macrumors 6502

If you think like this, you will never own one. At the time they integrate i5 or i7 in it, there will be new mainboards and cpuz like i9 - i12 or whatever intel produce and give the name of it. Therefore, you will want to see the newest one in 13inch macbook pro and you will be waiting for another year...

It is a neverending story, just get the one you like most. Forget about i5 or i7 thing, if you like 13inch go and get it, you can use it 3-4 years..

18. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

you find a way to make room in a case that small and thin and still keep every other component and then convince apple to put a gpu in there even though the vast majority of people who own the 13" are perfectly fine without a dedicated gpu. Then you find a gpu that won't decrease battery life. Then you find a free gpu so that apple won't have to increase prices and maybe we will see a 13" with discreet graphics.

Sorry for any typos, iPod touches don't exactly have the roomiest keyboards.

19. Yinmay macrumors regular

I don't understand all these people making these assumptions and throwing them around as fact. How do you know i5 + discrete graphics card would be too big and too hot for the 13"?

Sony's done it in the Vaio Z. Ditto with Toshiba's Satellite L630. Maybe it didn't make it in the last refresh simply because Apple wanted to keep their margin as high as possible on the $1200 entry-level?

And from a commercial standpoint it made sense: a lot of people are buying the new 13" regardless of the lack of i5.

As someone else mentioned, Sandy Bridge will have the same anti-nVIDIA/ATI integrated graphics limitation and they can't keep using C2D for ever. Eventually they'll have to fit a discrete graphics card in the 13" or satisfy themselves with Intel's integrated graphics.

And yes I'm very biased: I so much want a 13" with iX and discrete graphics too. The only reason why I'm considering getting a 15" to replace my current 13" is for the added horsepower, not for the larger screen. I just plug my laptop to an external display when I need space.

So yes I'm hoping there'll be an i5 MBP 13 eventually. Apple is certainly capable of it. Perhaps too optimistic but why not for the October refresh?

BTW, i5 aren't that much more expensive than C2D. $220 public retail price per unit vs $235 and as others have said, they run cooler than C2D.