Will there ever be an unlock for 04.12.01?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by punkromance, Mar 27, 2012.

1. punkromance macrumors member

From reading around, some sites say they're working on it now with an imminent release, others say there hasn't been a new unlock in the last two years and that they've stopped working on them entirely. Is it worth waiting it out, or is an unlock highly unlikely to surface?

The background is I just bought an AT&T iPhone 4 with the 04.12.01 baseband. Despite my reading I was new to the whole thing and didn't realise I wouldn't be able to unlock it through my carrier (O2) out here. There's a whole load of topics about this but they all seem a bit vague. Hope you don't mind this one.

Cheers.

2. Zero Cool macrumors newbie

Zero Cool

The way I unlocked my old phone when I was traveling abroad is I called AT&T and told them I bought the phone online. They kept asking me questions and I kept just saying I don't know. They finally gave me the key to unlock it. It was a lot easier than jailbreaking and all of the other nonsense.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That will not happen with an AT&T iPhone.
    Any other phone they will unlock.
    To the op I'd sell it and buy a factory unlocked iPhone instead.
    It's pointless sitting there waiting and not able to use your phone.

4. punkromance thread starter macrumors member

Weird, from what I've read AT&T under no circumstances have been unlocking any phones.
    My thinking as well at the moment. Although I bought it more for the better camera and 256MB of RAM than the phone capabilities (my Nokia 3510 has been serving me well), and I got it for the same price I could sell my 64GB iPod Touch.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Fail you don't use a key to unlock the Carrier tells Apple to unlock it and it will then be unlocked though Itunes.

[​IMG]

6. o0ops macrumors newbie

That's TRUE but.... AT&T simply DOES NOT unlock phones !! !:eek:

I have an iPhone 4 w/ FW 5.1 and (stupid me...) BB 4.12.01 which... (since I stupidly upgraded it) works nicely.... as an iPod !

It might be interesting to know that e.g. in France, every carrier is legally forced to unlock any phone after 3 months... though it might sometimes proved complicated, e.g. with SFR.

I'd say the best would be to wait for the (quite long ago promised) Gevey SIM for new basebands.

I previously used (quite successfully) a Gevey SIM but I was on FW 4.3.0.

Which seems odd to me (if someone has an idea) is Cydia shows SHSH 4.3.5 and 5.0.1. AND the 4.3.0 I used does not appear in Cydia.
    Anyway I don't know how to use it, every try I've done ended with some error.

So.... wait and see !

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

Where's the 'big yawn' icon?

8. Sine Qua Non macrumors member

AT&T does unlock off-contract phones but not any model iPhone.

If you think the US should be more like France (or some other country) with respect to regulating carrier locking and unlocking, contact your legislators and regulators—seriously.

9. Zero Cool macrumors newbie

Zero Cool

Apparently there was some confusion here. AT&T DOES unlock phones. I have the proof sitting on my dresser. However, the phone I'm referring to is a Samsung. I was not aware that the iPhone was an exception. In fact, I never said that this method would work for the iPhone, just throwing out some suggestions. I do apologize for giving out misleading information but there's no need to be rude guys.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Throwing out some suggestion that doesnt fit in this discussion.
    He's talking about an iphone, we're in an iphone forum etc...
    No big deal but its well known AT&T will unlocked any cellphone besides the iphone.

11. o0ops macrumors newbie

Downright true Mr Semigod, but do you know why ?

I do.

:D

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because of corporate greed:)

13. o0ops macrumors newbie

c'mon honey, make my day.