General Will there ever be an Untethered jailbreak for ios 7.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lewisweekly, Mar 26, 2014.

1. lewisweekly macrumors regular

Hello all, I stupidly upgraded to ios 7.1 the minute it was released, restoring first to get a clean upgrade to leave no jailbreak traces. Unfortunately I kind of miss having a jailbroken device. I am curious as I know other people are to whether or not there will ever be a untethered jailbreak available for ios 7.1? And if so how close are we to it's release? I don't wish to downgrade as I like 7.1, even with very minor changes my iPod has been performing much faster than it was back on 7.0.4, and the battery is lasting me a couple of days with good use. So I am simply curious to whether or not we are close to seeing an untethered jailbreak or not. Any input is appreciated.

Lewis W

2. Tmlfan3 macrumors regular

I don't think anyone really knows. Everything right now is just speculation. And I'm pretty sure you're stuck on 7.1. There is no downgrading (though could be device dependent)

3. 007p macrumors 6502a

Yes we will see an untethered jailbreak available for ios 7.1.

It is not close to being released. At least a few months off yet.

4. atlawson macrumors newbie

Are you speculating that there will be or do you have some info I haven't read about?

I hope you are correct I had to restore do to a tweak that messed mine up. I tried everything that I knew and nothing would fix it. I only had 2 icons showing home my springboard. I couldn't even get to any app with the search feature either. Neither Ilex Rat or Semirestore would fix it.

5. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

No.

It took several months for evad3rs to find an exploit. And I'm sure they have other methods that could be used for iOS 7.1. But why waste them on this iOS version when iOS 8 is just around the corner.

So, no. There will be no untethered jailbreak for iOS 7.1.

6. 007p macrumors 6502a

The key part was 'a few months off yet'. There won't be one until ios 8 betas for sure, otherwise exploits may be burnt for ios 8. If ios 8 has a lot of security fixes present in the betas then a 7.1 untether may come out before an ios 8 one does.

I see no reason to say there won't be a 7.1 untether. iPhone 4 most likely won't get ios 8, therefore it would make sense to release a 7.1 jailbreak for it (yes I know it can be tethered). It could just use the same exploits as the ios 8 jailbreak though, I think 6.1.3 untether uses an exploit or two that the evaders used in evasion7.

Eitherway, if you expecting one 'soon', like in the next couple of months. Then no :p

----------

Personally I think they got the exploits relatively quickly, at least it seemed that way from twitter. I think the issue was more joining them together in a neat 'one click' button form rather than finding the individual exploits. It certainly didn't take them several months - wasn't it end of Sept - end of Dec for the 'whole process'? I agree with you though, they won't go burning exploits that could be used for ios 8 now, even pod2g said they won't work as a team again until ios 8. If the betas show patches to things that can be used to jailbreak 7.1.x then fine, one will probably come out from someone or other...but until then...

7. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

you guys have no clue, how can you say yes or no. lol

nobody knows, on these forums. if there is news of anything related to 7.1 jb from a trusted dev, you will hear about it very fast on these forums.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed, all these replays are pure speculation.

9. 007p macrumors 6502a

I disagree, 7.1 already has an untethered jailbreak in some shape or form. I do know it uses the iBoot and isn't being released anytime soon.

But at the end of the day;
    Will a 7.1 untether jb be released? Yes.

It's really a matter of when not if. It may well be in 10 years time and be useless, but it's going to happen at some point lol

Do you know of any firmware currently that isn't jailbroken (aside from 7.1 and maybe 5.0.0)?

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yea, 4.3.4, 4.3.5 and 5.1 were not jailbroken.

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

How do you know we don't know?
    You don't know what we know or what we don't know.
    That, for sure, I know.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LMAO:D
    Noone knows for sure guys.
    Only time can tell.
    My guess is if they have more exploits available they might not waste or focus their time and effort on JB 7.1

13. simplydat macrumors member

I'd much prefer any exploits available are saved for iOS 8 so it can be quicky jailbroken rather than wasting it on 7.1 for minorities who have "stupidly" or "accidentally" upgraded.

14. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Need I mention the divine league of extraordinary gentlemen?
    And an honorable mention to the league of dabbling with a bit more than just ordinary gentlemen perhaps?

[​IMG]

2 month expiry anniversary :D

15. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Pod2g stayed that the evad3rs will not be working on a 7.1 jailbreak as a team but......... He said if he is bored and has free time on his hands he MIGHT try to make a 7.1 jailbreak, keyword here is MIGHT.

For me doesn't really matter cause I'm still jailbroken on 7.0.4 and didn't upgrade.

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

If we go this, why not skip 8.0 and wait till 9 so t hey don't burn another exploit?

17. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

There's a difference between one JB per major iOS version vs another JB for a .x update

Personally speaking, I can't help but think they got a bit discouraged in releasing public jailbreaks with the backlash of the iOS 7.x JB

18. zone23, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

zone23 macrumors 68000

Well I would have rather they saved the exploits for 7.1 instead of wasting them on 7.0.4 but I don't always get what I want. I personally have no regrets in updating to 7.1 the phone works as it should. That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer it to be JBn.

19. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I remember pod2g was disappointed with some hacker on twitter when they released 6.1.4 jailbreak.

Disappointed with the fact of why wasting an exploit on something that's not worth it. And I'm sure he will feel the same about 7.1.

If there were gonna be a jailbreak for it.. We woulda known when the 7.1 betas was happening..

20. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yes, but Pod2g was mad at iH8sn0w for using an 'old exploit' which was already patched in an iOS beta :p

21. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I didnt know it was an old exploit... yet whether if its an old or new exploit, it seemed useful from what I gather..

[​IMG]

22. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

If you followed the twitter convo, ih8sn0w mentions that it was patched in the 7.1 betas (implied since he said it was patched in iOS 7)

23. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

It's an old exploit. Been around since iOS 3 if I recall correctly.

Anyway.

Yes, and if you actually paid attention to what I just said you would have caught that it was patched in iOS 7.1 beta 1 which came out well before the 6.1.3/4/5/6 jailbreak.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because iOS 8 is a major release and there will be millions of new phones and users that updated to the new iOS version and all new devices that are released that will run 8.0
    Going from 7.0.6 to 7.1 is pointless with barely much changed and if you chose or "accidentally" updated then that's on you.

25. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

He was being facetious.