Will there ever be an untethered jailbreak for the new baseband?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by brinycbri, Nov 28, 2010.

1. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

I know to be patient and wait for the jailbreak to come out, but for the most part, it's waiting to use the 4.1 shsh blob. Will there ever be an untethered jailbreak for the new baseband or is that now impossible? Thanks!

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

You've got all the terms mixed up.

Baseband is related to UNLOCKING (so you can use the phoen with a different carrier)

You need to jailbreak before you can unlock. The current jailbreak for 4.2.x is tethered. The jailbreak for 4.1 is untethered.

If you have 4.1 SHSH blobs, you can downgrade to iOS 4.1 and do an untethered jailbreak.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Most likely there will be an untethered version coming up. Comex (Spirit/Jailbreakme creator) is currently working on making an untethered revision.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It used to be that way until Apple started making iOS check for the baseband version in 4.2. Comex is saying you'll possibly need the SHSH blobs to unlock 4.2.

Straight from the Dev Team Blog:

5. brinycbri thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea that's what I thought, you'll need the 4.1 blobs. I guess the people on 4.2 are SOL then?

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You, too, are showing your confusion. The OP is asking about jailbreaking. That still has nothing to do with baseband version, the fact that SHSH may be needed to untether the new firmware notwithstanding.

It is true that the baseband check creates an added wrinkle in custom firmware creation and prevents upgrading without baseband upgrade using TinyUmbrella on the iPhone 4, but that has nothing to do with the jailbreak being tethered or untethered.

7. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

Man this is starting to get old - I wonder why Apple wont allow some of the JB apps people JB for to be in the app store. I would gladly pay for them. I guess it has to do with parts of the system that they access but still - a lot of the JB apps do things better than Apple's standard iOS. I mean isnt the reason we have an app store in the first place because the JB community came up with it first?

They really need to embrace this a little more or they are eventually going to lose customers. I know I know, it is the way Apple has always been, but in order to innovate you need to try new ideas.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Until Apple see's there wallet start to empty it will never change. most people that don't jailbreak think the reason we do it is to steal apps! :rolleyes: I don't think Apple is far behind that thinking. I'd love to see Steeve Jobs play with a legit Jailbroken phone.