Will There Ever Be More Than One?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mr. Incredible, Feb 12, 2011.

?

Will there ever be more than one type of iPad?

1. Yes, Apple will someday expand the line up, and have a 7' and 13' options

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, Apple will have only one iPad, always

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Mr. Incredible, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I've been thinking about this for sometime now, not sure if anyone has ever brought it up in here though.

There are:

6 Types of Macs
    MacBook
    MacBook Pros [13', 15', & 17']
    MacBook Airs [11' & 13']
    iMacs [21.5' and 27']
    Mac Pro
    Mac Mini

&

4 Types of iPods
    iPod Shuffle
    iPod Nanos
    iPod Touches
    iPod Classic

But there is only 1 type of iPad.

I think that Apple should expand the iPad line up.

There is currently a 10 inch iPad starting at $499.

Why not a 7 inch iPad starting at $299

and a 13 inch iPad starting at $699?

I think it's very much possible if Apple wanted to, and maybe they even should, there are some out there that want a smaller iPad, and there are some that want a bigger screen.

This way, there will always be something for everyone.

2. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I hear what u are saying.

Look at the iPhone. Some would say there is only one type of iPhone, but many would argue that there is two types of iPhones. The newest model and the one before it. In this case, iphone4 and iPhone 3GS. Those are the two models.

I would assume Apple would do the same with the iPad. There is really no need to create basically a totally different device(7") when u can continue to sell version 1 which is still a great device along side the new version 2.

I know u are thinking more along the lines of an iPad and iPad Pro, so to answer your question.....IMO...one day. But it will be when the MacBook air is discontinued because the iPad can do everything it can and more. So basically yea, but it's gonna be a while.

3. bass93 macrumors regular

There are actually six kinds of Macs. You forgot about the Mac Pro and Mac Mini.

4. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Of course there will be different sizes eventually, and those who think there is no need for a smaller intermediate device are kidding themselves.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The 3.5 inch iPod touch 32Gb is currently $299. I don't see how Apple can offer a 7 inch iPad at the same price.

A bigger iPad? Maybe someday. But there already is a smaller iPad, that is, the iPod touch, and I don't think there's room for a 7 inch model there, at least not price-wise.

6. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, would $399 be a more reasonable price if it was released? And a $599 price for the 13 inch?

This is both at the base price of that screen size, with just 16gb.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While apple may have multiple laptop models I dont think there's room for two distinct iPad models. The only model that might make sense is a 7" model but jobs has come out against 7" tablets

8. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

I keep going back and forth on this. iPad sales are so robust, with no worthy competition on the shelves yet, and with so many competing companies unable to even furnish a release date, that Apple doesn't have to be in any hurry to release an iPad Nano.

Then again, if there were a 7" iPad available at the right price point, it will be sayonara to all the pretender clones before they even get ramped up for production.

But how much cheaper can Apple produce and price a 7" iPad than it does the current model to make enough of a profit to make it worth the while? These other companies will do exactly what they do with PCs; cut costs to the bone and add features, produce a mediocre device, and grab a quick buck. Apple doesn't play that game.

Still, I would think a release in the Fall of a 7" iPad would create the next big "must have this Christmas" buying frenzy. There clearly is a market for a smaller iPad.

9. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

13 inches, once you go there it's not a mobile device any longer.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just to say, I'd like a 13" iPad and would pay a bit extra if there was a 10" and 13" version for sale.

I also suspect a LOT of people like me would also go for the larger screen version if there was a choice.

I know some people use iPads on the move, but I suspect, and it's just a guess, many more use their iPads indoors, whilst relaxing, on the sofa etc etc.

An extra 3" of screen would be nice for the Web, Games, and Video.

To be honest, if you are going to carry 10" around that's not pocket-able anyway, I don't really see how 13" is going to make a giant difference to you.

11. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seriously? That would be too big to handle

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's not a matter of needing a bag to carry it around, but a matter of how it feels in your hand or on your lap. A 13 inch notebook is usable, because the keyboard acts as a base to holdup the screen. A tablet, you have to hold in your hand, or balance on your lap, or prop it up with some kind of a stand. I'm not convinced a larger size than 10 inch could be made comfortable to use. Even if it weighed the same as the current iPad, the extra bulk would make it more awkward to handle. I'm not saying it would never happen, but I don't think it's as simple as, it's not going into a pocket, so you can make it any size you want.

14. ufkdo macrumors 6502

I want a 42'' one :D

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Interesting to think about what effect a pixel-doubled 10" iPad would have on calls for a larger size. The default usage would probably be just a better looking display with basically the same scaling, but some apps might be able to make good use of the extra pixels.

From a business standpoint, fracturing the product line like that is not as profitable. Go back to 1996 and look at the Mac: there was 6120, the 7200, the 7210, the 7500, the 8450, and many, many more subtly different models. What did Steve Jobs do? By 2000, most of those had been EoLed, replaced by candy colored iMacs, the blue G3, then the gray G4 and the Cube. A narrower product lineup is more efficient for the company and less confusing for the customer. iPad diversification is possible but not very likely.

16. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just read that the new iPhone is going to have an edge to edge touch screen display, basically, no bezel.

Having this same concept, you can have the current iPad keep it's 10 inch display (9.7), while having the actual size of the iPad much smaller!

With that said, a 13 inch Display will probably add an extra inch to it's height and width (I'm not a mathematician, just guessing).

17. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Eliminating the bezel on a smaller iPhone would work because you could cup it in one hand. You couldn't do that with a 10" iPad let alone a 13" one. I still think the could reduce the bezel by a bit, but you would always need at least some bezel to be able to hold it easily.

18. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

How large is the bezel now? 1 inch?

I can imagine them reducing the bezel to 1/4 inch, and by buying a case for the iPad, the case can add an extra 1/4 inch.

Having a 1/2 inch bezel total with the case will be amazing, the size will still be reduced by what it is now.

Or what if Apple completely discontinues the 10 inch screen, and makes a screen slightly smaller, and a screen slightly larger?

Such as an 8' and 12' screen?

19. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Mine is used at home as well, every minute. 13", I don't know -- just seems a tad big. Like the other poster said, 42", that might work. Just put it on my kitchen table and instead of 2 finger swipe or 3 finger swipe -- I'd use a 10 finger swipe.

20. hi res macrumors member

hi res

...i don't think there will ever be a 7 foot OR 13 foot model... seems unlikely

...don't think there'll be an 8 foot or 12 foot model either...but that's just me

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think its more the case of only one type of iPod Touch. Lumping it in with the other iPods is the same as lumping the iPad in with the other portable Macs. You could conceivably call it an iPad Mini or Nano making for two types of iPads.

22. Adibobea9 macrumors member

I don't want different sizes, but I would love an iPad Pro with better specs. Faster processor, more ram, more space, better camera, retina display, etc. This would make me happy while still keeping the cheaper versions for other consumers…

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I do see a little problem, and the problem is with the tablet design.

Tablets which only work with touch from a finger as opposed to a fine stylus, do, by there nature have to have a much simplified and perhaps a rather clunky interface.
    Many "power apps" Photoshop, Autocad, 3D Modelling programs ect due to their complexity and power, have screens packed full of controls.
    Heck, even on a 24" screen they have to have multiple menu's upon menu's and control panels over control panels to be able to do all they can.
    There really is no way to pack this amount of control onto such a small screen with a low resolution, coupled with a very inaccurate method of control (human finger)

Games, well yes, you can throw as much hardware at games as you like to make them look great, and a lot more RAM of course :)

A video editing app, also needs a lot of power to crunch data and you could have a reasonable to use interface with that.

As for other utility apps that need a LOT more power, I don't know. Given the fundamental limitations of the device itself.

You just need a keyboard and/or a very precise input device.

24. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I think it is inevitable that there will EVENTUALLY be more than one iPad. It may happen this year, it may happen 5 years from now. It may be adding new sizes like 7" or 13". It may be the same size with one pro version with beefed up specs. The iPad (tablets) is becoming far too popular as a computer device. Can you imagine if Apple still only made one version of a laptop?

My guess is that Apple will add a new size (I won't make a guess what size) sometime next year.