Will there ever be TB->USB 3.0 only hub?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thadoggfather, Jul 2, 2013.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

This is all I want, so I can have USB 3.0 for my 2011 Air without breaking an arm and a leg, or selling it and getting a newer model.

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

Probably with Thunderbolt 2 (20 GBit/s per channel). All other TB solutions do not support the full 5 GBit/s USB 3.0 speed, AFAIK.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It does seem that the TB dock solutions currently out there with USB 3.0 support cap out at USB 3.0 speeds of 2.5Gb/s - not sure if that's a hard limit, or just what the current controller chips are able to push. TB2 probably won't be any help; any machine with TB2 will already have USB 3.0 also.

I suppose someone could make a TB to USB 3.0 hub, even if the USB ports cap at 2.5Gb/s. Will they? Only if they think enough people would buy it. I don't know how likely that is.

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Its does more than USB3 but the price seems pretty affordable...

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U055

5. theluggage macrumors 68040

Trouble is, the only real market for that is 2011 Air/Pro owners who have Thunderbolt but no USB3. Anybody with a USB3 mac who doesn't also want Ethernet/Firewire/audio/kitchen sink is better off with a much cheaper hub. So its a fairly niche market.

The other problem is that the 2011 MacBooks only have one Thunderbolt port which doubles as the only way to connect an external monitor. So a "cheap" TB-to-USB3, along the lines of Apple's Ethernet and Firewire adaptors, the lack of a daisychain port would be a dealbreaker for many. Adding the daisychain port & associated video handling is a major extra expense.

For someone who just wants USB3, the Caldigit one will be a better solution - if it turns up on time and on price.

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/

...there's a Matrox dock already available, and cheaper than the Belkin, but it only has one (1) USB3 port and no TB-through. Duh.

6. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

This isn't the missing link in your quest for a TB->USB Hub.
    But it does give you additional USB 3.0 ports and a clean storage for your keyboard. So it does meet your goal of more USB 3.0 ports.

Screen Shot 2013-07-03 at 3.40.52 PM.png

7. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

That would swing it for me, lets hope:
    A: They do one in the UK:D
    B: It's not excessively priced:D

Fingers crossed: