Will there ever be TouchID for all logins?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by FatherJack1980, Feb 29, 2016.

1. FatherJack1980 macrumors regular

FatherJack1980

I'm hoping Apple will release a 16 inch Macbook some time soon, with TouchID implemented in the touchpad (I can dream); but I am wondering if there will ever come a time when sites and forums will allow login through TouchID?

Heck, it would be great if the TouchID would be available through touching your smartphones front glass (anywhere on the front of the iPhone) and by simply putting your finger on the touchpad on the laptop, since that's where I would love to see TouchID being implemented ...it can't come soon enough.

For added security it could be available to have to insert four digits after pressing

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not just enter a password if you have to use your thumbprint and a pin number.

I like the idea of TouchID for Macs but I think its only viable for Apple's laptop line.I don't see how it can be easily implemented for the Mac Mini, iMac and Mac Pro.

3. FatherJack1980 thread starter macrumors regular

FatherJack1980

Sorry, should have stated better that the user could decide if he wanted to also use four digits (or password) after using his thumb ....as an extra layer of security

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

+1 with the OP, given that scanners have been on iOS devices and Windows laptops for a few years now. In the interim, MacID seems to be helping out partly in this regard: http://macid.co - it's not perfect, but it works OK...

5. Tech198 macrumors G4

16-inch ? ok

what if u don't have u'r phone on you and mac are is in another room? It would have to be an option.... Mac mini can also be used without a display as a media server for itunes as i use it for, but phone access would be good (assuming your phone is changed all the time)

Biometic is probably gonna come, but it'll take a while.... OS's will catch up and it will be a standard, instead of being an extention u could use now, or at least it will start of as an extention via usb port.

I would like to use the phone and set an option within OS X to say "always use bio-metic on an Apple supplied app on iOS" u get from the App store and install, or comes as default on iOS update...

This would be good, but nothing will deter someone who has physical access.

This could replace all passwords and do away with password managers entirely.... or at least as options to using them.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

It could be a while before sites and forums would do it - most likely, they'd wait for a web standard to be incorporated that works cross-platform. "Does the OS verify ID? Then accept log-in." It might require an exchange of tokens - web site sends token that positively identifies itself, device returns token that positively identifies the user - similar to the way Apple Pay works.

But there's still a fundamental issue - a web site or forum will still want some sort of independent username and password - something that can be used, like your iOS lock screen passcode, when biometric validation isn't possible. The process of providing the information needed to setup the account can't be fully automated - different sites need different kinds of information during the account setup process, and we'll want to maintain control over exactly what personal information is supplied.

But sites and forums do not have to "allow it" - it's a capability Apple could add to the existing Keychain system. Right now, Safari asks if we want to save the login info in our Keychain, in order to automate future logins. We currently just have two choices - either Save (and allow anyone with access to the computer/device to login), or Don't Save, to be sure that only the right person can login. A third option - "Save and require Touch ID/passcode/system login password" would give us that additional layer of security and convenience.

Will it be great when/if we can touch any part of the display, trackpad/Magic Mouse, etc? Sure. Probably just a matter of time. I'm willing to be patient - security is more important.

7. Tech198 macrumors G4