will there ever be

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arielled01, Dec 2, 2007.

1. arielled01 macrumors member

a macbook that isn't "ultra portable". i mean the reason i stray away from wanting to purchase a macbook is because of the small screen size and now the rumors of an even smaller macbook discourage me even more. so i guess my question is does anyone see apple making a standard, lets say 15" macbook in the future?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wouldn't say it is impossible that they will but I think it is unlikely. if you want a larger screen size you have to get the Macbook Pro

3. arielled01 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i know and it sucks because i could really be content with everything the macbook has to offer except of course its small screen size :(

4. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

I wouldn't count on it. I think the whole idea, is to get a 23" display for at home, and then have a super lightweight lappie to take with you on business trips, or to the ski slopes, or to the inlaws, or what have you. With a smaller screen though you can keep a small case, as well as save battery life to power a larger screen. If they made it bigger, they would throw in better hardware to fill up the case, and then you would just be where the macbook pro is. So if you use your lappie at home and don't ever carry it around, get a 17" macbook pro. If you carry your laptop around alot, get a nice light macbook, and then set up a 20" display at home for everyday use. That's the way I see what Apple is doing with their portable line.:apple:

5. skuzzy macrumors member

Almost every manufacturer of some sort of portable computer is straying away from "standard" screens to wide screens. I don't know why per say, maybe its the amount of hardware they can fit in length wise?

6. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

That's where the industry as a whole is moving to...television too.

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yes eventually all screens will be widescreen which will be a plus. Only thing bad about it now is you'll get standard screen resolutions with some games and they look somewhat distorted on a widescreen display.

But back to the topic at hand. I doubt the MacBook's screen will get any larger than it already is. If Apple did increase its size I don't imagine it being any larger than 15" because then it would compete too much with the Pro, and Apple wants us to buy the Pro so they'll make more money! I don't really see this as a negative as I'm glad Apple keeps their product lines simple and don't have dozens of different models to choose from like PC makers because then it just gets overly confusing.

8. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

It is so you can watch your widescreen movies on your computer without having to miss so much of the film.

9. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Just go with the low end macbook pro...:rolleyes:

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i second that (without the roll eyes). a new 15" macbook would be about as expensive as a refurbished 2.16 GHz Macbook. right now there is a 15 inch 2.2GHz MBP for $1699. a 15" MB would be about the same i guess.