Will these 2 adapters do the job?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by austinmarti, Jan 13, 2013.

1. austinmarti macrumors newbie

I've had a Desktop PC setup with multiple monitors.

SETUP
    -------------------
    (1) HDMI monitor
    (1) DVI monitor
    (1) VGA monitor

(2) video cards (one handles HDMI and VGA, the other handles DVI)

-------------------

Now, I just bought a June 2012 MBP and I'm wanting to at the very least be able to use the HDMI monitor with it.

If I have desk space, I may add one of the others, and even use all three if I decide to forego the MBP screen and tuck it away.

My question is:
    With this adapter, will the MBP see and send video to each monitor if I hook the HDMI and DVI monitors up to it?
    (Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt® to HDMI®, DVI & DisplayPort Adapter)

If THAT will work, my next question is:
    Can I then plug this adapter into the the Displayport port of the previous adapter, thus allowing me to send video to my third external monitor (VGA)?

Will all of the involved hardware actually support this kind of setup? I'm just not familiar with it all. Thanks for your input.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

You'll need an adapter for each monitor

So you'll only be able to use one external over display port, unless you have a retina mbp, saw somewhere where they had 3 externals going, 1 hdmi, and 2 mini display port.

3. austinmarti, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

austinmarti thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops, that's what I get for not thoroughly reading through the description. Thanks.

I don't have a Retina MBP.

You say I would need an adapter for each monitor. If I only have one Thunderbolt out port, how do I go about getting video out to each monitor, then?

(I understand Thunderbolt peripherals can be daisy-chained, but my monitors are not Thunderbolt. So is this outcome even possible for me?)

Edit: I did run across this, which may make it possible for me to use 2 monitors (DVI-D outs)
    http://www.amazon.com/Matrox-Graphi...F8&qid=1358203361&sr=1-1&keywords=D2G-DP2D-IF