Will these headphones work with the iPhone 2g?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by vader1990, Jan 18, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi, I recently got an iPhone online, and it will ship pretty soon; I already have a brand new pair of these headphones:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6023363

I was wondering if they will work on the iPhone. The one I ordered will NOT ship with headphones, so I was wondering if these will work?

Looking at pictures provided, the little headphone plug looks almost exactly like the apple one?

Thanks!!

2. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

The ones you have ordered do look like they would be compatible, but you never know. I have never owned a 2g iphone so i dont know how bad the recessed jack problem is.

How come you havent got any headphones bundled with the iphone? To be honest i rekon the apple headphones would be as good or better quality than the ones you've ordered.

3. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response, to answer your query: I ALREADY own these headphones from like 4 months ago..I got them the same time as back-to-school. I ordered the iphone from EBAY! The phone was a very reasonable price, and it was in very good condition, but unfortunately it had all the cables EXCEPT the headphones :\

I'm not a snob when it comes to sound quality, but are these headphones at least "decent"?

Anyone with experience with these?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Walmart link you supplied didn't work for me. The issue with the first gen iPhone isn't basic compatibility -- any headphone set with a normal mini jack will work fine (and any that have the extra division in the prong and the microphone / button work for those functions), but the casing around the headphone port blocks the plug from some of them, so for it to fit into the port, the plug has to be narrower. For this reason, most general headphones that were made before the iPhone won't fit (since the iPhone, because of this issue, a lot of them just made their plug casing smaller just in case).

It's hard to tell without seeing it whether yours has a small enough plug casing to fit.

If it doesn't fit, you can either buy an inexpensive adapter or just take a knife and "fix" it in a few seconds (although that will void your warranty).

5. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

I updated the link, but just in case, its the JVC Gummy Black Color Headphones.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6023363

Thanks a lot!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Judging from the picture, my guess would be that they wouldn't fit.

Here's a picture that might help. From left to right, these are (click for full size)...

[​IMG]

- Some cheap no-name microphone earbuds that were intended for the iPhone off eBay (black)
    - The Apple iPhone earbuds (white)
    - An old pair of Griffin Earthumps that predate the iPhone and have been modified to fit (light grey)
    - A newer pair of Griffin TuneBuds that do fit the iPhone without modification. (silver)

The EarThumps were originally at that full width all the way to the place where the plastic casing normally ends, and as you can see, I've just cut off a bit to make it fit in the iPhone. I'm having trouble finding specifics on the width the iPhone requires, and I don't have a pair of calipers to measure them for you, but the basic gist is that three of them in the picture fit without modification, and the fatter one did not.

7. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply. Since I already have these headphones, I'll try them first, if they don't fit, maybe I'll do the same as you, and shave a part of them off to make them thinner so they fit. There's always ebay, if all out fails...

Thanks for the help man!