Will these packages cause battery drain?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by trev, Dec 18, 2010.

1. trev macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Like may, I've been experience extreme battery drain on my iPhone. I've since uninstalled the SSH Open client as I have been told that is probably the culprit. Below is a list of "packages" that cydia says I have installed, althogh I only remember installing 3 of them... by any chance, would any of you know if this would be causing my problem?

Activator
    Airplane SBSettings
    Cydia Installer
    Icones Repo
    iControl
    Repo Icons
    Repo iphone.4fr
    Rotation Inhibitor
    SBSettings
    ultrasn0w

Repositories:
    Cydia Community Source
    Big Boxx's Source
    Dev-Team
    ModMyi.com
    Saurik's Source

Thanks,
    Trevor

2. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, this is really starting to be an annoyance... I've got my phone hooked up to a wall charger now, and it's still draining although it says its connected to a power source. Its draining faster than the wall can charge it! Although, it does charge when plugged into my computer. Maybe this will help in finding out the source of the problem. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Did you hacktivate? I understand that can do a bit of drain.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hactivation and ultrasnow will drain some battery faster then normal. Ultrasnow has to always run in the back to keep your phone unlocked but its not as noticeable or battery intensive as your experiencing.
    Maybe try a restore.

5. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Activation and unlock are two things

Activation is a check to pass after the phone has been restored to see that it has the right SIM in it. Check into SAM or Subscriber Activation Module, a new process that can help with the battery drain issue among other things I hear. Still the best way is to borrow a legit SIM, even one that has no contract on it will work. Once activation is done you don't need it again until the next restore. SIM's sell for a couple dollars on ebay...

To use either SAM or legit SIM you need to remove hactivation, there is an option for that in the latest redsn0w I see.

Unlock is what allows the phone to actually use a non legit SIM from another carrier. Has to be there at all times to do its job.

7. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have the previous SIM card, actually... so I can activate it with that... then unlock... then put in my own SIM card. Right on, I'll try that.

8. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I used pwnage tool and made a new IPSW, and I did NOT check activate my phone. Used the new SIM card to activate, and then installed ultrasn0w. ultrasn0w is the only thing installed besides cydia. I'm still experiencing extreme battery drain... dammit.

BTW, I'm on version 4.2.1, with BB 06.15.00

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try a hard reset a few times.
    I had the same prob before and it fixed it.
    Hold down the home and power buttons together for 20+ seconds.

10. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, I'll try that. But in the mean time I'd like to bounce this off you,

I'm not sure if I activated it properly. When the restore was done, I put in the original Rogers SIM card and waited for a while. iTunes recognized the phone without any problems. Under the phone contacts "my number" showed up as being the previous phone number on the rogers network. At that point in time I assumed it was activated. I then installed ultrasn0w, and put in my SIM card, bell. As soon as I put it in, the phone displayed "iphone activated". Weird? I was expecting to see that when the original rogers card was in.

When I noted above that iTunes recognized the phone, I selected "restore from a backup of "****"'s phone", just because I didn't want to fiddle with the settings to get it back the way I liked it again. Was this my mistake? Should I have set it up as a new iphone, where I would then activate the phone?

Trevor

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You did it right.
    But if this problem persists setup as new phone cause there might be a bug in that backup file that causes the power drain.

12. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

I followed these instructions and they seem to have worked:

http://www.cyberiphone.com/battery-drainage-solution.html

I followed not the instructions on the page, rather, a post with slightly different instructions (reply by m1k3y_b0y). It worked fine apart from the last step. iTunes didn't seem to want to recognize either SIM card... so I decided to call it quits for the night and resume my battery sucking phone state, just to have phone capabilities again. I uninstalled openSSH, SAM, & SAM pref... then installed ultrasn0w as normal.

I've since been running on battery power for a half hour, and still showing 100%... whatever happened, it worked!!! My phone is unlocked and not sucking battery.

Thanks for all your help applejuiced... not only to this post, but to many others!

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced