Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, need some urgent advise...will these be fine in Mac Pro 1,1 . How about if i mix the orange and blue (one of the blue ones have a different spec)

these are said to be FB rams and... i have someone telling me that i need normal DIMM not FB DIMM (feel like smacking em)

also, how do i define that these rams are FB ? thanks...

20151126061401-1.jpg
20151126061401-2.jpg

Last edited:

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
You can tell the registered (FB-DIMM) idea from the 2Rx4 in the model number naming the "R" part. The timings (with one exception they should just drop back or that is the theory anyways) are identical with both sets the 555 -11 as is the speed so that should not be problem. There are no heat sinks like Apple used on them but that was mainly for the 512mb modules that ran hotter than hell so I have read. I am thinking you have good chance of getting them going in your machine.

Reactions: redhatcode29

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
You can tell the registered (FB-DIMM) idea from the 2Rx4 in the model number naming the "R" part. The timings (with one exception they should just drop back or that is the theory anyways) are identical with both sets the 555 -11 as is the speed so that should not be problem. There are no heat sinks like Apple used on them but that was mainly for the 512mb modules that ran hotter than hell so I have read. I am thinking you have good chance of getting them going in your machine.

Thanks for e explanation. So i conclude that these are FB rams. Also that mixing 555-11 with 555-12 will not be an issue. Correct me if i m wrong. Thanks.

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
I had trouble with FB Dimms without the larger heatsinks. Maybe the sticks I got were just bad, but the diagnostic LED's were all wacky. Sent them back. You can find those sticks with the required thick heatsinks for pretty cheap now

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I had trouble with FB Dimms without the larger heatsinks. Maybe the sticks I got were just bad, but the diagnostic LED's were all wacky. Sent them back. You can find those sticks with the required thick heatsinks for pretty cheap now

Ohhh... Dear

True cheap. But at my location, its not. Thanks for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.