will these work for my mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xS1CKNESSx, Apr 13, 2009.

1. xS1CKNESSx macrumors newbie

2. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

3. dantherevelator macrumors regular

4. xS1CKNESSx thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a video on youtube showing quality of it?
    I want this to record stuff from my xbox 360 and put it to youtube would that work good for that?
    Also how exactly does it work?

I would still like to know if the hd pvr i posted up first would work on my laptop or the other one?

5. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Yup. Great products, great software.

6. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

while Elgato EyeTV does work well with video game consoles, it is composite input only. therefore you will not be able to receive HD quality of your games. as far as i know, there is currently no product that offers an alternative with component inputs for HD gaming for mac. the quality you will receive will reflect that of connecting your console to an analogue television set. if that's fine for you, the EyeTV Hybrid is a good choice.

also, the EyeTV software (which is very nice) installs with the default setting of time-shifting, which allows you to record, pause and rewind live TV. but when this is selected for video game consoles, there is a massive lag which makes games unplayable. you need to uncheck the time-shift setting for analog to play lag free games. unfortunately, unchecking this also makes recording live game play impossible, unless you don't mind playing with a huge lag.

however, there are solutions to this problem. you can use a screencasting application like Screen Flow to record the EyeTV window while you are playing your games with out time-shift enabled. i've done this several times and it works very well, but works much better when recording a smaller window and not the entire fullscreen (but i guess that all depends on your processor, graphics and computer memory).

7. Chozo macrumors member

While component cables are analogue, they are still able to output in HD.

8. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

perhaps, but...

this is an email i received last autumn about HD playback of devices (like video game consoles) using the Hybrid:

Thank you for contacting Elgato Systems.

No EyeTV product has component, DVI or HDMI inputs.

It's likely that a potential future hardware product will have newer chipsets that can deal with such inputs, but it's not possible now.

Until then, EyeTV Hybid and other products can only receive analog video via composite or S-Video, or HDTV via antenna or unencrypted digital cable.

Nick Freeman
    Customer Support

Elgato Systems LLC

900 Kearny Street Suite 750 San Francisco CA 94133-5145
    http://www.elgato.com - http://faq.elgato.com - http://forums.elgato.com

it appears that the new Elgato EyeTV Hybrid that was released in January 2009 is still unable to produce HD output from the breakout cables (still composite/s-video only), although this new Hybrid has better over-air HD reception based on the xceive chipset and the ability to time-shift and record local FM radio in real time.

9. Chozo macrumors member

So....you just proved me right?

10. johnny13oi macrumors member

While you are right, the product they are talking about only has composite input and not component. Composite can do 480i at the best and Svideo can do 480p. Those resolutions are nowhere near HD resolution.

11. Chozo macrumors member

You are correct sir.

But it wasn't until after I pointed it out that Darkroom edited his post to say composite instead of component.

12. xS1CKNESSx thread starter macrumors newbie

so still no one has answered my question at least i think not haha i just want a straight yes or no answer will that first hd pvr capture card i posted work on my laptop or the new one that i might get?

13. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

this is true. i realized i wrote component instead of composite and changed it.

i doubt it. not natively at least (bootcamp only). as you can see in the product description the device is "certified for windows vista", and the software included doesn't seem to be mac compatible.

14. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

+203920391 to all who suggested Elegato. Eye tv Hybrid + any mac = Greatness. A great UI, Features, and quality all surround Elegato products; it's almost as if Apple produced them. Elegato is def. a chip of the ole block. or maybe the bite out of your apple! :) CHEERS!!!

15. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I hate my Elgato EyeTV. The audio of a few of my channels are messed up: left side is correct, but the right side is wrong (from another channel). This is unacceptable for that price (~ $200).

As much as I hate Windows, their Media Center is much, much better compared to Mac. Free TV listing, and very nice remote control. I bought a whole HP Slimline desktop computer for ~ $300.

Sorry I did not answer OP's question, but I want others to see the downside of Elgato product.

16. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

that's the nature of computers.

in fact, i'm anxiously awaiting my EyeTV Hybrid replacement as i had to send mine in (to san francisco). i had progressive scan issues that were not working properly at all times as they should have been. however, when the device is working, it really is a strong product.

17. waremaster macrumors 6502

Yes the first device in your post will work on a mac laptop or desktop as long as you are running either Windows XP or Visa at the time. No Media Center Editions.