Will They Accept My WebView Based App?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by loon3y, May 17, 2012.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

in the app store even if the main/initial view controller is a web view as well?

since when the app is launched it takes a couple seconds to load since its a website.

jw cuz from what i read on here, seems like apple is very anal about stuff

the website guys are gonna make a mobile site version and I'm just gonna connect it to the URL

also would it help by having one view controller, have UIbuttons and push it to other view controllers containing web views?

I'm planning to follow how this guy made his app, with the back, forward, and refresh buttons and that one button that brings up that lil menu that has the buttons 'open in safari', mail link to this page, and cancel

2. Jonathansm macrumors member

Jonathansm

If the only thing it does is connect to a website then no they will not accept it.

3. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

i've seen another app that was a completely web view app in the appstore bout 6-8 months ago, but now their app is a real one.

I'm planning to do that, have version 1 a completey web view app just to get it live so the company I'm doing it for can have their customers to dl the app and look at their styles, inventory, and order. etc etc.

it'll be modified to fit like the wikipedia site.

I'm following this tutorial :

https://github.com/samvermette/SVWebViewController

would this type of app not be approved?

what if at least one of the push view controllers, like orders i built it within Xcode, would that be enough? lol so it'll only be 70% web view based

4. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Look at Facebook app, it's basically a wrapper of HTML5 pages. Just the menu is Objective C..
    So if you can do something around it, then it's allright, but pure web clippings or apps that don't offer much, and could better be an HTML5 site, then you're rejected :)

5. Jonathansm macrumors member

Jonathansm

A lot of it depends on who is reviewing your app too. You might have one person that will accept it but another person who will reject it. The only way to find out is try.

But the Facebook app can access your media library and other APIs. You don't have access to those things on a purely web app on iOS devices.

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I think the rules make it pretty clear that your app will be rejected.

I'm trying to think of why I use the Facebook app instead of the web app...

Two big reasons:
    1 - The app allows for the upload of photos and videos.
    2 - The app has much smoother graphics, and I suspect loads faster (because it has a lot of graphics stored in the app instead of downloading them each time you visit the website.)

One other little thing,
    It'll fill in missing contact data in your address book with stuff from Facebook.

Thus far, you've failed to tell us why users would use your app rather than just bookmark your website in mobile safari.