Will they be released at the same time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bitesmac, Mar 1, 2011.

  1. bitesmac macrumors newbie

    Mar 1, 2011
    Hello everyone, I have been both Windows & Mac user because of the work. I'm considering buying a real Mac from now on (instead of vmware/hackintosh). I don't really need a Mac asap but do you know if Apple has a history of releasing both a new laptop model and new OS at the same time?

    The reason I'm asking is because I can wait til the summer to get a new MBP with the new OS instead of buying one now, and then buying a new OS later on. Also, I may get a free ipod too (my .edu address still works). Plus, I heard around the net that there may be another refresh for MBP in the summer.

    Go easy on the new guy please :)
  2. dwhynman macrumors regular

    Jun 23, 2010
    There is no way you will see a new MBP refresh this summer. I doubt it but maybe in October before the X-mas season. They did not update the white macbook so there is a chance that could see a summer update. There is also no precedent to seeing any computer come out with the new OS. so you will just have to buy it unless you order a new computer very close to the OS being released then they usually let you upgrade for $5.
  3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 31, 2010
    Apple never pairs OS X releases with new hardware exactly. The MBP will definitely not be refreshed this summer, since there's nothing new to even put in. The MBAs might get a small spec bump with Sandy Bridge then, but also, not likely to be anything major so quickly.

    All that being said, if you can hold out until summer, the free ipod is a great deal. Waiting for Lion is also a good idea too. Personally, I'd been waiting for the 2011 MBPs for a couple months, and didn't want to wait, despite the fact that I AM a student and would have qualified for the ipod when the time came. I will also be paying for Lion, but I don't mind.
  4. bitesmac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 1, 2011
    yeah I see the guide. It's the pending Lion update and a potential free iPod that make me ponder. Especially it's only about 3 months until the busy summer.
  5. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

    Feb 24, 2011
    Can't you just buy the MBP now and upgrade the OS when it's released? Just curious. Maybe I got the wrong idea.
  6. dagamer34 macrumors 65816


    May 1, 2007
    Houston, TX
    For the last couple of years, refreshes have been following releases of new Intel CPUs, which only happen once per year. Don't expect any updates until 2012.
  7. bitesmac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 1, 2011
    ok, screw the waiting period. Just pulled the trigger on refurb Macbook Air 2.13GHz, 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM for $1600 included tax. This system should retain good value for a while don't you think (in case I want to sell it to recoup the money for other mac)?
  8. bitesmac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 1, 2011
    ah never mind, this is the MBP area. My MBA question should not be asked here I suppose.

Share This Page