Will they change the eject icon?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Liam555, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Liam555 macrumors regular

Liam555

Not sure if they've forgot about the eject icon in the dock, or if they're going to change it later on. But still looks pretty 3d.

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

Tell Apple what you found, if the BETA has some feedback system or use the Apple.com/Feedback website.

3. Liam555 thread starter macrumors regular

Liam555

Will do :)

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

They probably want to remove it since Apple considers a disc legacy/skeuomorph.:eek::D

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That's a strange idea… :D
    If you drag the icon for an external drive, which could be a hard drive, SSD, or other flash media (not just optical disks), dragging to the trash will change the trash icon to the eject icon.
    I can't see that changing anytime soon.
    As long as you are allowed to mount external drives, you will also be able to eject them. This is not related to optical media, nor the idea that Apple is deprecating that media (system support will remain for some time yet, I think)

Anyway, I suspect that as we approach release of the final system, you will see other tweaks to various icons in the system.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just to keep up the silly: Optical Disc and Hard Disk Drive.:D

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Probably just a typo, but disc refers to optical media like a CD or DVD. While disk refers to magnetic media, like a floppy or a hard drive. :)

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Nope, just me using the term in a haphazard manner :D
    I will try to be more careful in the future…
    The point I was trying to make - An optical (disc) is not the only kind of storage media that would trigger the "eject" icon.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yep, that's exactly right, too. Other forms of media, like external HDD's, SSD's and flash drives make use of the Eject button.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Out of curiosity how do you get it to show? I never remember seeing this in the Dock before and don't see in SP: Dock. I know you can have a disc eject button in the MenuBar and thought this was what the thread was about. However I checked and the MenuBar eject button is flat (not 3D).

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not sure how to get it back into the Dock. All I can find is stuff for adding it to the menu bar.

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you click-drag the desktop icon for a mounted storage device, you will see the trashcan in the Dock change over to an eject icon. And, dropping the storage device icon on that eject icon will, not too surprisingly, eject the device.
    I'm not too sure, but I think the Dock in OS X has always provided that eject icon when dragging a desktop drive icon to the trash.