will they charge ur card for the mobile me trial at all?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewwg94, Aug 5, 2009.

1. andrewwg94 macrumors member

1st post. so basically i need the find my phone thing, cuz i know my phone is gonna get stolen at school this year. i heard some stuff about getting charged during the 60 day trial and stuff. is that true? and can i just make a new account after the 60 days are over and keep using the find my iphone thing? i don't care about their email and all that other stuff. all i need is the find my iphone service. thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, they will not charge it as long as you cancel it. Although your idea might not help and if you know your phone is going to get stolen, yeah...nvm.

3. SeanMcC macrumors regular

You can't continue to use Find My iPhone without an active account (trial or paid). Unless you cancel the trial before the end, you will be charged for a year.

4. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

but can i just register a new account?

5. ryanvalle macrumors member

I think there are some system checks which prevent you from doing this.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I think Apple charged $1.00 but immediately put it back into my account after 24 hrs.....:eek:

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Standard procedure, they just do that to make sure the card number you entered is valid.

8. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

15 yr old with an iphone... more power to ya! Like a previous poster said, they probably just authorize the card for a dollar. But if you know its going to get stolen then why would you take it there? The find my iphone feature is neat, but in reality I think we are talking about it boosting your chances of getting your phone back from 2% to 10% :cool:

9. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Maybe more than 10%

I wouldn't say 2% to 10, I have a little more confidence in it than that. I would recommend just buying it for a year, but if you don't end up doing that, you can register again. You may have to renew your IP, reset some cookies, and use a new email address every time, but it can be done.

Like every one said, a $1 fee will be charged but never taken out of the account.

I would recommend just putting the phone in your pocket during school and not taking it out, if anyone steels it from your pocket I will be impressed. If you are worried about it falling out, get a rubbery (silicone) case for it.

Im 15 as well, so I understand the situation your in. If you have the money though, I would pay for it. Good luck this year.

10. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Maybe a better investment would be a crappy $20 flip phone and bring that to school and use your iphone when you are in safer area? Although that would be too logical and I wouldn't expect any 15 year old to follow it. The only reason a 15 year old would have an iphone anyways is if they are trying to showboat it around. There's no real need for it as a 15 year old has no real responsibilities. Watch out for those bullies.

11. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

The find my iphone feature is useful if you leave it someplace where someone honest will help get it back to you. A friends house, maybe dr office, places like that. The op is talking about someone reaching into his backpack and stealing it. All they need to do is turn the power off and you cant locate it anymore... ditto on reseting it. Im sticking by my 10% for stealing it, in other situations find my iphone might be helpful, but probably not so much in this one.

12. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Don't bother wasting your time signing up. The person will probably steal it and then just smash it into a million pieces.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Not to mention - if you're in a heavily populated area - it's not going to help because the GPS isn't THAt accurate. All you'd know (as an example) is that your iPhone is in the same building as you. If you were in NYC and in the Empire State Building - you wouldn't know if it was on the 1st floor or the roof. In a college dorm - same issue.

I'm not saying Find My iPhone isn't useful - it's already proven to be. But I suspect the larger usage is "Did I leave my iPhone at work or at the restaurant I was just at?" type of scenarios.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Do you have any idea what an iPhone is?

15. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

The 'Remote Wipe' service will obviously not work when the iPhone is powered off.

However, here's some detailed info from Dan Frakes, of Macworld Magazine, and how it works (or how it might not):

Inside iPhone 3.0's Remote Wipe feature

16. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

What, you don't think it can be smashed into a million pieces? Blendtec was able to blend it into a million pieces.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

19. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I'm 15 and I bought a phone on ebay for $16 for that reason. It just kinda makes sense, although I do have my 60 day mobile me trial too. And above all amex will replace it if its stolen.

20. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

LOL post of the year! 15 yr old with an amex!

21. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

how about you stop being cheap, and pay for it annually.