Will they exchange this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HarrisonB, Jul 14, 2009.

1. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

2. flurffmeister macrumors member

Most likely, yes.

They may ask to keep the phone for a battery test overnight.

Stupid questions:

Do you have Bluetooth on for a reason?

You're on Edge there...is Wifi or 3G on? If so, turn them off if you're usually not in range. (Also, make sure the Wifi "Ask to join new networks" option is always turned off - you don't need it once you've connected at least once to all of the wifi networks you regularly go to)

Is the brightness slider all the way up unnecessarily?

Is Location services on? (If you're not using it much, note that it still sucks juice in the background, especially if you use the MobileMe Find My iPhone service)

Is Mail Fetch set to 15 minutes?

3. HarrisonB thread starter macrumors 6502

I have al lot of that stuff on by under an hour is just rediculous. 2 hours would be one thing. But 50 minutes. I have brightness set to like half way or a little above, and I have 3G on but it shouldn't cause that much drain.

4. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Yikes. They should replace that. Don't restore before you go though. They'll need to see the logs as proof.

What were you doing during that 49 mins?

5. HarrisonB thread starter macrumors 6502

Loaded some pages on safari, some texts, a few call, and like 3 minutes of sim city. If I had the tethering hack on does it matter? I deleted it? Should it be ok?

6. samcraig macrumors P6

ah wait... did/does tethering show up as usage? were you using tethering in addition to the small usage we see in the image?

7. HarrisonB thread starter macrumors 6502

no I haven't tethering in like 5 days. so 5 charge cycles. PLus I always tether with a cable so my phone is being charged.

8. flurffmeister macrumors member

You're right, under an hour is unacceptable in any case. I had it gaming for 2 hours and 37 minutes straight with everything on and full brightness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YADGPYpKyR0

Get there to the Apple store fast to replace it, before it loses that last 2%!

(or make it do that again)

9. HarrisonB thread starter macrumors 6502

It died and I can't make it till tomorrow. But I took a bunch of screen shots. I don't know if they will care.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

IDK why you are being told not to restore, because that might totally fix your problem. But what do I know? :)

11. HarrisonB thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I have a tiny scratch on my 3GS screen. So I'll take the exchange. LOL. Pretty rediculous reasoning but yah.

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

No question about it.

However, if they ask if you've restored and you say no, they'll either turn you away and tell you to do it or do it for you.

Your best bet would be to retain those screenshots and restore to ensure it doesn't fix the problem before making an appointment.

13. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Just cross your fingers your exchange isn't in worse condition

14. HarrisonB thread starter macrumors 6502

well besides that the battery is seriosuly pissing me off. And I don't think I've ever gotten more than 4 hours of usage ever doing anything since I've got this thing. and this morning I got 50 minutes.

15. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

They'll care. Proof is always good. I had someone take a video of my 3GS keyboard responding without being touched. That was the only reason they swapped the phone.

Good luck!

16. HarrisonB thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I recharged it it seems to be holding a charge better. This is a problem that seems to happen sometimes, but other times not so much. IDK what the deal is. It will be fine for a week then all of a sudden gets horrible battery life, then gets better. It's pretty annoying.