Will they fix issues eventually, or do we have to do it ourselves?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NathanCH, Nov 2, 2007.

1. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I got an error when upgrading my new iMac from Tiger to Leopard. (I get to the login screen, login, it goes to a blue screen, then back to login). After reading here I gather it's the same issue as the other blue screens where the 3rd party apps such as ShapeShifter cause Leopard to fail.

Do you think they will do something about this or do we have to figure it out ourselves? I have no idea what to do now, but I'm definitely not reformatting and losing my programs/files.

I feel sorry for those 1000s who are sitting with a busted computer right now.

2. unity macrumors 6502a

Dude, what are you talking about?

There are not thousands with busted computers. Its call booting from the install DVD (hold the "C" key right after the startup chime) and then perform an Archive and install, preserve user settings to make the install transparent. Now if APE installed in YOUR user directory, you will have to do this again without preserving settings, but I am pretty sure it install in the main library if installed for all user accounts.

Anyway, thats all you do and its fine again with no data lose at all. Well, you may loose a couple screen savers and fonts... but you can fish those out of the "previous system" folder.

3. NathanCH thread starter macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Not everyone that uses Macs knows how to do that :|

I don't even understand what you're saying.

4. Halsey12 macrumors regular

I uninstalled APE before I upgraded. No problems here. Real easy to do.

5. unity macrumors 6502a

I think its even stamped on the DVD!

Just insert DVD.
    Restart and press "C" as soon as you hear the startup chime.
    The installer will now open after it boots, its a little slow.
    Go through the installer until you see and OPTIONS button and press it.
    Select "Archive and Install" and "Preserve user settings" should be checked.

Thats all. This is not a hidden feature and Macs have done this since they shipped with CD drives. Its really nice. Its also in the manual that shipped with the installer, I think.

6. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

If youve figured out how to install shapeshifter etc, your not exactly a noob... plus if you are in this predicament, you at least have been through the setup procedure once ;)

7. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

APE/Unsanity is notorious for screwing people over when OS updates/upgrades come into play. I avoid their software like the plague.

8. NathanCH thread starter macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I'm not saying I don't know how to do it. I'm talking about all the other people. Take my mom for example, do you think she is going to go to her friends computer and register on these forums for help? She doesn't even know what a forum is. =/

Plus, if you guys read my post it says I don't want to lose my PROGRAMS. Archiving only keeps files

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Archive and Install WILL save your programs. :rolleyes:

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Where did you read/dream up that? Archive keeps programs and files.

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Um, "other" folks like you describe aren't likely to have installed a third-party app that will frag an install like that. If they just install the DVD and follow directions, they'll have no worries.

12. unity macrumors 6502a

And "other" people would do what? Call Apple! Only and complete idiot would think its not fixable and then just shut it off and walk away.

And yes, and archive and install does not affect the programs.