Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duke5021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
NJ
Is this possible to do for faster transfer for those people who have a Thunderbolt port? I've never used this port on my MacBook, but it would be great if this thunderbolt to lighting cable came out.

X-Ravin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Lighting is only USB2.0 so there's no point to sticking a thunderbolt connector at the other end yet. I'm not sure if it would just take a firmware update to up to 3.0 speeds but I don't know why they wouldn't have done it in the first place if that was the case.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Lighting is only USB2.0 so there's no point to sticking a thunderbolt connector at the other end yet. I'm not sure if it would just take a firmware update to up to 3.0 speeds but I don't know why they wouldn't have done it in the first place if that was the case.

Lighting was designed for the future so no doubt they'll be able to upgrade it for USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt when the conditions are right.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I doubt that Thunderbolt to Lightning will ever happen. Completely different intended usages. By the time an accessory such as a phone or MP3 players requires that much bandwidth and direct access to system buses, something else will have come along.

onegregwiley

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013
Thunderbolt Not Necisary?

I doubt that Thunderbolt to Lightning will ever happen. Completely different intended usages. By the time an accessory such as a phone or MP3 players requires that much bandwidth and direct access to system buses, something else will have come along.

Interesting: I know that I would like Thunderbolt speeds for transferring data to a 128GB iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.