Will they re-equalize the processors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Jan 8, 2009.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hey all... as you all know, the 17" MBP is now 2.66GHz, with options for 2.93, while the 15" is 2.53, with options for 2.8. Apple's done this before, with the first gen of MBP, when the 15" was 2.0GHz Core Duo, while the 17" was 2.16. However, then the 15"MBP was brought up by "half a gen" to equalize the top-end 15" proc with the 17". Do you think this will happen again, or will they continue with the current scheme?

2. Hydroxs macrumors regular

It depends on what the processor is with the fsb and multiplier

3. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

No no... but my point is that the 2.66 WAS the updated version of 2.53, and 2.93 WAS the updated version of the 2.8. Do you think they'll maintain the 17" 1 generation ahead in terms of processors like this, or do you think that they'll equalize the 15" procs to the 17" procs?

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I know what your asking but the likelyhood is no they wont, because they have to make the 17" worth so much more somehow other than 2" extra on the screen.

If they were going to it would be in 6 months time at WWDC when Snow Leopard is released.

5. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Yes it makes perfect sense. Along with 8Gb RAM cap!
    There seems no barriers for that - as chipset is exactly the same.
    (Though you never know why simple things take forever with Apple, and driving you nuts in the process :(:eek::mad:)

And speaking about new developments on 17"MBP, I'd also love to see other features trickle in:
    - Matte option
    - Narrower bezel
    - uniform display density with 1680x1050 (I'd kill for such option:cool:)

I'd also would go for sealed battery/undeside even if with only 20% capacity increase.
    And I don't need that cool latch - I access my RAM & HDD, or even remove my battery ~ once a year.
    So it's easy access to HDD is rather a security threat for me (Am I the only one whose HDD contents worth more than any MBP?).

And my dream machine is sealed MB with 2.53 & 1440x900 13.3" matte.
    I'd pay MBP money for it. Do you hear that Apple?
    I offer you 2k$ for machine without dedicated GPU & less everything.
    Could you deliver it?

P.S. doing away with latch mechanism leaves just enough space for FW ...
    So why do I have a feeling I never gonna see it?:mad:

6. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

The only thing I could agree with you is the timing.
    Unfortunately it's safe to predict that Apple is not interested in rushing all goodies to users.

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

apple could definitely do it, but they won't. The MBP prices would scare away many consumers.

8. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well technically they've equalized them in the past. Think back to Rev. A MBPs. The high-end 15 was equal in spec to the 17, except for the 17"'s proc, which was faster (2.16 vs 2.0), then they equalized and then since then that's been the norm.

Ah well. The next time I'll upgrade is when Core i7 Quad starts going into 15" MBPs... and of course 1680x1050...

9. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

The point is, that with the recent Intel's update 2.66 sells for 2.53 money & 2.93 sells for what 2.8 was going for when UMBPs were launched back in October'08.

And it [probably;)] makes sense to pass it to buyers ...

10. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Yeah, it'll probably take till May to update them again, then in June mobile Core i7 (Dual core for now:p) will come out, and we'll see it somewhere September/October :eek:

11. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Then make it all optional ...
    (and charge for the "hassle" of having "too much" inventory, etc)
    BTW 1599 for consumer laptop (not specialized/gaming like Precision/XPS or Pro like MBP) is already almost outrageous these days ...

Yet did you hear about AMG?
    SJ did ;):D
    And it's not scaring away peepz in Europe, where lower spec Mercs almost compete with VWs.