Will they really update the best laptop ever?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VideoShooter, Dec 4, 2007.

  1. VideoShooter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2004
    #1
    OK - first off there are dozens of threads around here talking about whether to wait or buy before Macworld.

    Frankly - I am in the same boat. I have a 17 inch PB G4 1.67 Ghz. Work is buying a new MacBook Pro in the next few weeks.

    Do I wait for the CPU bump?

    Will there be a new case design?


    My inclination is to wait... however... Would Apple really change the Best laptop ever built while it is doing SO well?

    Part of me wants to buy now and say screw the wait, hell screw the new changes - who wants to deal with a rev 1 Apple laptop?

    Isn't the current case design a bit long in the tooth? Yet it is still so beautiful.

    Cue the harassment about how there are already a dozen threads.
     
  2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    #2
    If it does get upgraded it won't be a significant one Maybe a penryn Processor nothing else. Buy Now if you need it.
     
  3. powerchord macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    right where I am
    #3
    I am wondering about that myself, and going back and forth between buying now or in January.

    Does anyone know, historically, how the rev 1 models have fared? Are there any actual reports on this? I mean I have heard about kinks and bugs, but I have never actually seen any stats or other info to support this view.
     
  4. jeff^d macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2007
    #4
    I was in the same boat two weeks ago. I had a 5-year old PC and had been waiting to switch for a while. I concluded that January updates will likely be too minimal to wait for, and that they probably won't actually be in January. The drift I caught was that they'll be announced in January, then released shortly thereafter.

    So I'm on a new MBP now, and man it's sweet. Even if there are updates, this thing still has a high resale value. Then again, who really cares. It works, it'll last me years, all is well.

    If you wait, you'll like it. If you buy now, you'll like it.
     
  5. powerchord macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    right where I am
    #5
    Words of wisdom indeed. I was just off-put by the continuing yellow-screen issue and figured an update might remedy the problem for good. But who knows what other gremlins will come with it?:eek:

    BTW what model did you get?
     
  6. feyn-man macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #6
    I don't know, haha. Maybe multi-touch tech will be in the new mbp.
     
  7. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #7
    I am doing the same. I am an old 2.0 Celeron Windows computer from who knows when but I decided to wait til January because my computer still works, not well but good enough til January.
     
  8. jeff^d macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2007
    #8
    I bought the 15" LED/2.4 GHz/160 GB model. Other than a minor problem with the power adapter (which was fixed promptly by Apple) all is well. I was paranoid about the yellow screen issue too, but figured I'd take the chance as Apple seems to be replacing them if you complain about it. Plus, there were people on these forums who said they didn't even notice their yellow screen until reading about it on the forums, so I wondered how bad it could really be.

    I played the waiting game for honestly 3-4 years. Mostly it was financial reasons, I was in school and now I have a job, but I also realized that there will always be future upgrades. You're not locked into something if you buy it now; if they upgrade and it's sweet, sell yours on eBay and buy a new one.
     
  9. ElCapitan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    #9
    I just ordered my MBP last night. I was having a tough time trying to decide if I should wait or not. Thing is, I need it now, and especially when classes start back up in Jan. It is speculated that the mobile penryns wont even be released until mid to late Jan. Chances of getting a MBP with a penryn CPU probably wont even happen until mid to late Feb, that was too long of a wait for me.

    BTW, I got the 17" Hi-Res 2.6GHZ 4GB mem MBP. Cannot wait to see what I can throw at this thing.
     
  10. powerchord macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    right where I am
    #10
    Congrats and enjoy!! I hope to be joining you as a new Mac owner soon :) just gotta make up my mind and take the plunge
     

Share This Page