Will they stop making a new OS X annually?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mavericks7913, Jun 7, 2016.

1. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502

I am not the only one that OS X become unstable than ever before. Crashing, freezing, and etc. El Capitan was suppose to be the most stable OS X so they said. I really don't like annual update. This is very tiring stuffs for both developers and customers. 1 year is not enough. Any thoughts?

2. kayleee macrumors regular

Well it helps get new features at least, but its an optional Free upgrade, right?

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Yeah. Bug fixes should be pushed out monthly at least.

4. mavericks7913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Free upgrade but not reversible. Some what forcing. If you want latest updates, then I have to update OS X especially for Adobe programs. That's not good.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Doubtful, I don't mind the annual updates, but make them a bit more solid. The trend in the industry has moved on to at least annual updates. Microsoft is prepping its Redstone update, which will coincide with the anniversary of windows 10 in July. Many flavors of Linux update every 6 or 12 months.

It seems people's attention span went from every few years to expecting something major every year.

6. omnisphere macrumors member

It is going to fast now! when App makers release their updates Apple have already released a new OS version, completely insane. They can release updates with new functions in it instead of completely new OS. Every third year is good enough and good time for get rid of bugs.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Apple struck gold with the free annual updates. It would be suicide to move away from this model. It's brilliant. Microsoft is dying to find a way to get users to update to the latest version.

8. mavericks7913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Fast? Still slow. The stability had been decreased every years... El Capitan was meant for better stability but it didn't. Apple still didn't fix any issues from OS X. A lot of programs require to update for new OS X.

9. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

But this isn't the first update to Windows 10. There have been a few big ones already.

A lot of software projects release more often and focus on the version number less. Look at Chrome and Firefox. The yearly update makes us wait for new features longer, or they rush something to get it done in time. Releasing regularly and when its ready should be much more stable.

10. MikhailT macrumors 601

Annual release schedule isn't the cause of the problems lately. It's the marketing-lead development cycle that's causing the issues. Instead of releasing features when they're ready to go, they're rushing and pushing everything to be ready in time for the WWDC event.

iOS 9.3 type of update is what Apple needs to do more often, a small update with a few new features every once in a while.

Even Safari is getting better because of what they're doing with Safari Technology Preview.

11. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I wish we would go back to a more sensible 2 - 3 year release cycle. Bundle features together and ship a finished and polished version of OS X. The annual cycles sometimes feel rushed and get fixed in subsequent updates. A long term approach is much better.

12. Jyby macrumors 6502

New OS's is a misnomer... Its all software. They can create new features and integrate them when they are ready.. They probably have some good ones ready to show us at this years WWDC. I bet some of the software changes they will show have been in the works for years!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2016 ---
    Also, I think annual releases keep macOS relevant and thats what they need more than anything else. If the Mac dies so does their perfect ecosystem.

13. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

To me, an 18-24 month release cycle is somewhat sensible.

Up until 10.2, Apple was on a 6 month cycle but mostly to fix early problems. I'm working on memory and am too lazy to look it up, but Tiger was where OS X really hit a sweet spot for a lot of people and lasted for somewhere around 27 months. Leopard and Snow Leopard went back to roughly 18 months. Lion came out in Mid-2011, Mountain Lion in mid-2012, and Mavericks in the fall of '13. We've been at almost exactly 12 months since then.

14. jasnw macrumors 6502

I have it on good authority that OS X will no longer see annual updates. On the other hand, macOS will be updated twice a year.

15. thingstoponder macrumors regular

thingstoponder

No. Annual upgrades is fantastic and most people love it.

16. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Most people I know hate it "I have to upgrade again??" is a common cry I hear when telling clients about a new update.

17. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

In a way, Yes, Apple will stop releasing new OS X version every year. The reason is probably not what you were hoping for. They have revert back the the MacOS brand name, from the says of releases such as MacOS 8 to MacOS 9. ("MacOS 7 and earlier were called "System Software 7, etc..)

For that reason, they will no longer release OS X, but will probably have an annual release of MacOS (insert random California landmark here) for the next ten or so years, until they create a naming scheme. I think they basically ran out of big cat names, so they had to make a change. There are plenty of other options availiable for CA landmarks. I suspect that the next one will be not too far from El Capitan mountain in Yosemite, which is part of the Sierra Mountain range. The next one could be a tribute to Fresno, CA, "MacOS Cesspool."

18. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

You can do alternating years as el cap will be supported until it's not. No need to upgrade with the unwashed masses.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2016 ---
    Probably due to iPhone upgrade cycle.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2016 ---
    This is just marketing branding nonsense. OS X was new so needed to break free of how terrible old legacy Mac OS was. Now 15 years later the expectation is most will have forgotten how terrible the original Mac OS was. But to some of us it'll always be OS X as we won't forget legacy Mac OS was awful compared to Windows 95.

19. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Annual upgrades have become an integral part of Apple’s planned obsolescence strategy. A sales and marketing company first, Apple relies on selling it's customers more and more to keep corporate revenue in the stratosphere.

20. reetcher macrumors member

Yet no new MacPro, an iPad that clearly has us looking towards the Surface or a single version of an iMac using a limited color display. Sorry no matter how much Apple want to claim they are a software company they are hardware company - Adobe is a software company. Always having to dismiss update prompts because I need to stay on a stable level or having to circumnavigate the bloatware such as Photos is not a fun way to work.

Honestly I can't even name a single feature that OS 10.11 brought over 10.10 The feature I need is stability for all the software I want to run not just a new version of Photos. So yes I do hope the OS updates move to a 2 year cycle and the MacPro gets updated more often.

21. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I don't think Apple claims to be a software company. If they are a software company, they would offer their software on the majority of systems. Apple is and always has been a hardware company. The software that they currently offer is for use on the hardware that they sell. Up until a few years ago, they were referred to as "Apple Computer," the "Computer" part was dropped, as it was already clear that they sold computers, and was not necessary. It also made sense to drop it, as they also offer phones, media players and tablets. They maintain the App Store, to ensure usability of their hardware devices.

I think the idea behind a yearly cycle is so that things change slowly, and there is not big shock like in the windows world. Think of the whole, "where the #*&@ is my start menu?" That came with Windows 8. A yearly cycle with slight slow changes (for free) makes it less frustrating for the normal end user. Most of here, on a forum, are likely not the "normal end user," so we here, may see things differently.

As far as bloatware goes, Photos is not really bloatware. Bloatware is the junk that manufacturers add, in order to get you to buy. (Think of the old days, when you would get a game included on your new computer, but you could only play the first three levels then you have to pay. Think about those "free AOL" Cds if you are old enough, or the Encyclopedia disks, that required you to buy a serial number to actually use.) That is bloatware. There is no need to "circumnavigate" Photos, if you don't like it, don't use it. If you really hate it, just drop it in the trash.

22. SoundsEclectic macrumors newbie

Bloatware is not software that gets you to buy a computer. It's the opposite. Bloatware is **** you don't want and would never use and is usually varied from manufacturers. If anything, it's stuff that will get you to NOT buy the computer.

23. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Bloatware in the older days would often be limited trials to get you buy the software products, and would be pre-installed on your new computer purchase. It also includes junk that companies like Dell, HP, Compaq would install on your computer, like the HP help center. Or the HP Software update.

You are correct in that bloatware does not normally cause someone to buy a computer.