All iPads Will they stop with the chamfered edge?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yr Blues, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

It's so easy to scratch on the anodized model. Keep it rounded like the iPad 4.

2. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

No they won't.

3. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

I'm no analyst, but it's extremely likely that the ipad 5 will have the same design as the mini and iPhone 5.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yes, on Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 4:23PM Eastern Time. :rolleyes::D

5. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

no they won't, b/c they need something to talk about in their 5 mins promo videos.

if they eliminated the chamfered edge, what would jon ive talk about?

6. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

The next big thing: Sharpened edges!

So you don't grip your device too hard :D

7. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

The easy scratchability is more a function of the aluminum than the chamfered-ness. I think the chamfered edges look great, but I too have a small scratch or two. Oh well.

8. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I tend to agree with the OP on this one. My first mini's edges were done in by none other made my fingernail. I picked it up and it slipped a bit, and my thumb and index fingernails dug into the edge and it seemingly cracked. It was so weird. When I got my replacement (accidentally cracked the glass, was fortunate to get replaced sans AC+), I immediately put a screen protector and carbon fiber skin on it all over, and back into my invellop case. Not taking any chances any longer - I want to keep this 1st-gen in great shape for my mama and/or dad to use once the retina mini drops...

9. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

the paint is extremely fragile at sharp edges. it has little to do with the aluminum.

10. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Its not paint (its anodizing), therefore DOES have everything to do with the aluminum...

When done right, the anodizing shouldn't be coming off. Apple's process is flawed, but likely to improve.

11. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Hmm...I have a sliver iPhone 5 and my parents have the silver iPad mini...no nicks on the chamfered edges at all. I hope Apple keeps them. I think they're beautiful (obviously HTC does too).

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I think the chamfer looks a lot better but I prefer the rounded edge. I don't see Apple going back to round so I can't wait for them to innovate with something better than chamfer.

13. maxosx macrumors 68020

I greatly prefer to hold a mid sized tablet without a case. The champher is great to look at but uncomfortable to hold.

My mini is great if not for that annoyance. What really makes it obvious & an unfortunate stand out, is the wonderfully comfortable Nexus 7 I have.

It's got nicely rounded edges which are purposely designed for comfort. In combination with the stylish & grippy rubber like backside, the Nexus 7 is very impressive.

I'm planning to cave in and fix what Apple ignored. Spend more money to cover it up when I find the right skin. Making it less slippery is the other goal.

14. jschu22 macrumors regular

I wish they would, but don't think they will. Even if they viewed it as a somewhat flawed design, the next iPad was likely too far along to change something so minor.

All the debate over poor paint/anodizing, etc is irrelevant. It is a glossy surface so even an excellent manufacturing process and materials will show wear. Anything less than the hardness of glass is going to show hairline scratches and even that can eventually become marred. I think the chamfered edge should have been narrower, if there at all, in order to minimize how noticeable wear could be.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't have a problem with it, but if I did there are plemnty of excellent $15 cases on Amazon.

16. bluez3, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

bluez3 macrumors member

or cut the chamfer in after the anodizing and leave it the natural brushed aluminum color. like a modern interpretation of the chrome trim accent of the earlier iphone 1/3g/3gs.

17. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

that would have been an excellent idea

better patent it before apple does lol

the iPhone 5's after 2 years of use will look like the iPod Nano 4th/5th gens - completely beat to hell. just look at them on eBay, whew.

compare that to an iPhone 4/4S which even after a few years of use will still look brand new (presuming it has not been dropped and glass has cracked). i have an iPhone 4S that is 1 1/2 years old and it looks brand new

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Chamfers are cool but the mirror finish isn't.