Will this 1600mhz ram from adata work ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imperialnavy, Aug 23, 2011.

1. imperialnavy macrumors regular

2. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

3. imperialnavy thread starter macrumors regular

So it wouldnt automatically require less power ? Would those 0.15 volts simply go to waste ? if so, it doesnt exactly make sense to get these, although the tRas of 24 seems somewhat interesting. All the other 1600mhz modules have one of 27 or higher.

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

What is the point you are trying to get out of lower voltage ram? Do you realize how large your battery is? The quad core i7 and the 6750m consume far more power than even the power adapter can handle.

I honestly can't give you a direct answer, but do you really think that the difference in that voltage is going to drastically save your battery?

I just ordered the 8gb 1866mhz hyperX and I can let you know if I notice a difference in battery life and temperatures.

5. Minhthien macrumors 6502

good luck with that 1866mhz!
    op, should look into kingston hyper x 1600mhz!

6. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

What makes you say that? I have seen this ram (1866) work flawlessly in a sandy bridge i7 MBP. OSX recognized it as 1866, as opposed if you take the 1333 in my current MBP and stick it in my iMac that supports up to 1066 that it will only recognize 1066.

7. imperialnavy thread starter macrumors regular

I know that it most certainly wont save me much power, at best a few minutes.
    I would also go for the 1866mhz memory, however i have reason to believe that it will perform just as fast as the 1600mhz memory due to it having a latency of 11. I dont want to spend more money for something that performs just as fast as something cheaper ;) If there was a CL9 version of the 1866mhz memory, i would go for it ;)

Right now i am just trying to figure out which of these 1600mhz modules will be the best.

So these adata modules...would they even work in my mbp ? I assume they would run as 1600mhz modules as the chipset supports that kind of speed...

8. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I just got the 8gb 1866 (system profiler shows 1867) kit in and it does work without a hitch. I have noticed my games performing a tid bit smoother.

Well depending on what applications you use, the higher speed memory will benefit from the increase in bandwidth as opposed to higher CL.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282179-30-latency-frequency

That link provides benchmarks and actually shows higher CL ram out performing the same frequency (1600MHZ) of ram with lower CL.

"Here you have a Corsair Dominator 8-8-8-24 1600MHz outperforming Mushkin Redline 6-8-6-24 1600MHz ; this illustrates (2) of my very clear points: 1. a higher CAS beating a lower CAS RAM, 2. CAS disparity -> concluding the IC as I've stated all along."

9. imperialnavy thread starter macrumors regular

Very well, the benchmarks do look good.
    How about your Mbp ? Did you get better performance by using the integrated gpu or the dedicated ?

I know that you might get a rather significant performance boost if you use the igp but if you also got a boost by using the dedicated gpu, then i am in ;)

10. imperialnavy thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so i bit the bullet and bought the a-data memory (8Gb, 1600mhz, 1,35V).
    While it "runs" flawlessly, it only runs at 1333Mhz.

Now i have 2 options : Either i send it back and buy myself a 1600mhz pnp variant from Kingston

OR

I buy a tool called Thaiphoon Burner (Professional Edition, as i have Win7 x64)
    If i used this tool, i could manually raise it to 1600mhz and quite possibly to 1866mhz. Unfortunately i have no real guarantee that this tool would be able to read the memory. They state that this procedure works for Macbooks but no word on a-data memory....
    I am thinking that if i could overclock it to 1866mhz, it would be worth the investment...but as i said, i dont know if it would even work.. I dont wish to waste money on a tool that might not even work..

What do you think i should do?

11. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Do you have the high end model of the 15"MBP?

12. pingfan59 macrumors member

Just installed the Kingston HyperX 1600mhz 8gb ram and it is running great and is recognized as 1600mhz on my MBP. It runs for $95 at newegg.

13. imperialnavy thread starter macrumors regular

I have the high end 15" model ;)
    As for the memory, i decided to return it. Now i will probably go for the 1866Mhz memory...hopefully this will be better :)

@anyone using 1866mhz : Can you give me any more feedback on both performance and reliability ? I have heard mixed reports about it. While it works for some, it doesnt for others. I also heard that performance gain ranges from only a few percent to quite a lot more...

14. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I have the 1866 installed in my mbp, and I can definitely say It has not given me any errors. DDR3 will be around for quite some time, so if anything this ram will be ready for future cpu's as well. I will say the performance gains have been noticed, in Team Fortress and COD MW especially, by a few fps. As for everyday tasks, you probably won't be noticing much if anything.

Anything that involves the hd3000 will benefit more than anything, as the graphics is shared with the main memory, thus the faster the better (in this case).

If money isn't an issue, then no question you should get it. If you do have problems, send the ram back and exchange it for a new set.

15. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

According to Intel, the 2720QM and the 2820QM processor supports memory up to 1600MHz.
    So I don't think you can get any advantage with the 1866MHz over the 1600MHz.
    I bought these and they work perfectly: KHX1600C9S3P1K2/8G

16. imperialnavy thread starter macrumors regular

I assume these performance gains are with the HD3000 ? As i am mostly using the dedicated graphics chip, i would probably not notice anything then ? I realize i wont be getting much of an increase, but to be honest, even an increase of 1 fps would justify this ram for me ;)