Will This 4K Monitor Be Compatible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JordanLB23, May 18, 2015.

1. JordanLB23 macrumors regular

I have been interested in a 4k monitor to go along with my late 2013 mbp retina.

I have been looking at this one: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/m.../LU28D590DS/ZA

I would just like to confirm if that monitor will be compatible with my late 2013 mbp retina model and also if there will be any scaling issues?

Ideally I would like the display between the retina and 4k to be very similar (that's why I am going with a 4k monitor to match the beauty of the retina)

I don't just want to stream things on the monitor, I would like to be able to switch between screen to screen instantaneously for work, basically have 2 screens open of my osx but only have my laptop osx running.

Thanks.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Your link doesn't work.

Also, it's quite important to know whether you have a 13" or 15". And if it's the 15", whether it's the one with discrete Nvidia graphics or not.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep

It should work fine, You will only get 30Hz on that 2013 and you may get some UI lag on the IRIS graphics but it should connect up just fine...

4. Dylatron2000 macrumors regular

Dylatron2000

Your link doesn't work but I have a Samsung 28" 4K monitor and I use it with my late 2013 15" rMBP (with the NVIDIA graphics card)

I use display port to mini display port and it's 60hz at full resolution and it works perfectly.

5. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

I have Intel Iris Pro and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

I am interested in this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...kCode=as2&tag=4k0e-20&linkId=SFS3QYFVLKR7QML7

So it will work?

Is it like a plug and play type of thing?

I want the resolution/ratio/scaling to be exactly the same as I will be doing work on both and switching between them simultaneously

6. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If it is 4k and has displayport, it works. That's all you need to look for.

It is plug and play like USB, etc.

Exact same size font, etc, means you want monitors with the same, or close, PPI and pick the right scaling option.

8. Dylatron2000 macrumors regular

Dylatron2000

That is the exact monitor I have. I go through a Thunderbolt 2 Dock, DisplayPort from the monitor to the dock. Then a Thunderbolt cable from the dock to my rMBP. Resolution is scalable, so it really is customizable to how you want to view your workflow. Just plug it in and it works.