Will this 500 gb internal harddrive work on my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wraz, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Wraz macrumors regular

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

3. lyons238 macrumors 6502

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Ha, collector's edition. :p Anyway, you may be interested in the Western Digital Hard Drives with the BPVT suffix instead of BEVT as these are the latest models with "Advanced Formatting" which come with a little bit more storage space and a little more performance.

5. Wraz thread starter macrumors regular

Its okay Blizzard, i already ordered it :)

Anyways i now need to back up my files, but what program should i use for this? and how will i add all the files on it when i havent installed OSX?

6. lyons238 macrumors 6502

if you get an external 2.5" hd enclosure, you can put your old hd in the enclosure and install the new hd in your macbook. you then put your backup osx disk in and install osx fresh (i recommend installing fresh). then it asks you if you want to get data from another mac or volume. plug in your old hd and select from another volume and hit transfer data. then this transfers all of your data/settings over. takes about 3 hours total to install the new hd and transfer all of your data, depending one how much music and apps you have

7. Wraz thread starter macrumors regular

I have an adapter that goes from internal harddrive stick to usb, so youre saying that it should do fine if i do like that? i dont have to make a special file or anything? maybe i should just move my important files to my external harddrive, then put em to my mac?

8. lyons238 macrumors 6502

idk if the adapter your talking about is the same thing im talking about. but if u go to newegg and go to hard drive enclosures 2.5" thats what im talking about. then you just do what i said before. its pretty simple, it does it all for you, no need to make a special file. that way all of your settings, and everything is all the same as it is with your current drive.