Will this Air last for 3-5 years/Overall thoughts on Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aryterp3, Nov 12, 2012.

1. aryterp3, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

aryterp3 macrumors newbie

***EDIT
    1.8GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    128GB Flash Storage

By last I mean without upgrading hardware. And peoples overall thoughts on this computer?

I am choosing this computer over the mbp and rmbp.

1) How high can I upgrade the airs flash memory to?( if needed in a couple years)
    2) How high can I upgrade for the ram?( in a couple years)

I steered away from the retina because of its lack of upgradability

I am looking for a computer for general use and work. I want to have this computer for the next 5 years. My price range is 1700-2000.

Right now my first option is 13 rMBP. I have not been to the forum in a while and am out of the loop. I see threads on the main page saying there is a problem with the screen if open to long?

I also want to upgrade the processor from the 2.5 i5 to the 2.9 i7. I do want to upgrade memory after I buy it. Will 8 gb be enough?

Is that overkill? Is this the best mac out right now? Is it worth waiting a couple months for a new update? For the price I am willing to pay is this option the best bang for my buck?

Seriously thank you everyone for your help. I really want to make the right decision.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Well, rule out the rMBP then - you cannot upgrade it after purchase. The RAM is soldered onto the main logic board. The 13" rMBP strikes me as being absurdly overpriced for what it offers (having bought one and returned it).

If you want something that could last up to 5 years, your better bet is a cMBP, which allows you to upgrade RAM and storage.

It also depends on what you're going to use it for.

3. aryterp3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response. Again I apologize that I am so outdated with the new technology.

My main use will be running the basic programs but i want to be lightning quick. I want to have multiple programs running and not have any lag.
    I might want to play a computer game or two as well.

Isn't the reason I want the retina other then the beauty is because of the new flash hard drive that comes with it?

Also the 13 mbp does not allow me to add more ram on the apple site when I go to customize?

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

The 13" rMBP is maxed out at 8GB ram. If your really in the market to spend close to $2000, i would look into the base 15" rMBP and upgrade to 16GB ram. You get the retina screen, 256GB SSD, and a discrete GPU for gaming. It is priced a couple hundred out of your range though.

The 13" rMBP is overpriced but the prices for the notebook are dropping quick. Check out fry electronics, they have the 256GB model for $1799 no tax. The intel HD 4000 graphics can handle light gaming but nothing too crazy. It's definitely the best deal out there if you're looking to get a 13".

I also wouldn't bother with the processor upgrade. The speed change will most likely be unnoticeable.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

The 13" MBP will support up to 16 GB of RAM - Apple, IIRC, only offers up to 8, probably for fear of cannibalizing sales of 15" MBPs.

The SSD in a rMBP is not upgradable (without voiding the Apple warranty, at least), and is not any faster than SSDs available commercially for less than what Apple charges. A 256 GB Samsung 830 can be found for around $150-160 if you shop around a bit. And 16 GB RAM can be had for $60-70.

The advantage of the rMBP is the screen.

6. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

If you want the 13'', i'd buy a top spec on CPU 13'' Non Retina, up the RAM and put an SSD in yourself, buy apple with the saved money, and a external screen.

7. aryterp3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate everyones responses.

I have a 2007 macbook but the screen broke in a bizarre accident. Other then that i upgrade RAM every 2 years and kept up to date with the OS. I bought an external monitor and do use it as a desktop. However I find myself rarely using it. I want to have a laptop to be able to sit on a couch and watch tv with it and move around.

1) I do not need extra disk space because I have my desktop and external for storage. I do want the flash memory but don't feel like putting it in myself.

2) I do not want to upgrade RAM for a couple of years.

3) I think 13 size does the job well.

4) I will not regret updating to the 2.9 i7 processor in 2 years?

5) Are people having issues with the R screen? Is it that great?

6) This is my top choice right now.

13-inch: 2.5GHz
    with Retina display
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 or" 1.7 for 200 extra dollars"
    Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    128GB flash storage1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2

$1,699.00

8. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Honestly upgrading the non-retina machine takes minutes. Ive had RAM in an out of mine. HDD and RAM takes litterally 10 minutes.

Your call Obviously, but if you want it to last, i'd get a Non Retina.

9. aryterp3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help!

Its more the fact that I want the newest computer and assume the rMBP is better then the MBP?

I can't see myself needing more then 8 gb for what I plan on doing.

It doesn't make sense for me to get an older module when there is a newer one out.... but I'm concerned that people aren't telling me the R is flat out better. shouldn't it be better if it already has the flash memory? and a better cpu?

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

That's because the rMBP isn't "better" than the cMBP. It's different. Whether the cost difference is worth the difference is the value judgment you have to make.

The rMBP has the same CPU as the cMBP. It has a better screen, and it comes with flash storage, as you note. However, if you really want to have it for the next five years, you're more likely to get that from a cMBP, because you can upgrade the RAM and storage on your own as needed.

11. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

IMO they are just two different computers. They both have benefits and drawbacks.

12. aryterp3 thread starter macrumors newbie

After everyones help I think the Macbook Air is the best option for me.

I am choosing the 13 in Air.

1.8GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    128GB Flash Storage

Will this last me 5 years?

13. Namtaro macrumors regular

5 years is very long in terms of technology. It depends on what you do down the line in 5 years... will 128gb be enough for you? Sure you have storage at home, but what happens 3 years from now and you need to be more mobile?

14. aryterp3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate your help! I feel that 128 will get me through having regular files on the computer(Some work files, photos, and a movie or 2). But ultimately I feel everything is moving to the cloud. I plan on buying another external to use for time machine and larger files.

Stupid question. 1) Will I be able to upgrade the hard drive in the air myself?
    2) What is the maximum amount of ram for the 13 in ram? On the options I only saw 8 at the highest.

Overall do people think the air is a good machine?

Thanks again for everyones input. This is a great site.

15. markus843 macrumors regular

Why is this posted in the Macbook pro part of the forum?

16. aryterp3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry! When I started this thread I was thinking between the Pro or R.

Mods please move to appropriate forum if necessary!