Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I'm past my return period for my MacBook pro and have suddenly decided I'd like a ssd. Was looking at intel 510 ssd, but would rather have an oem to avoid any compatibiliy issues and have 100% TRIM support. So I'm looking on eBay and found this drive, is it the one I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Toshiba-M...ultDomain_0&hash=item3367ccbf81#ht_1588wt_922

Why not just buy an aftermarket drive then upgrade to Lion? It's not like it's that far away. You'll have more warranty actually than buying a eBay drive.

Betooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Bham, Alabama
Why not just buy an aftermarket drive then upgrade to Lion? It's not like it's that far away. You'll have more warranty actually than buying a eBay drive.

Hmm, I wasn't aware that Lion would support aftermarket ssd's. I might just go ahead and save some cash and buy the 510 then. Good point on the warranty too

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
While I think you're better off buying something like an Intel 510 like was mentioned previously, there is no confirmation that Lion will support TRIM on 3rd party SSDs, as far as I know.

Betooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Bham, Alabama
ahh ok. Well I might just go ahead and get the 510, and try doing that trim enabler mod. I have premier silver membership with bestbuy so I would have 45 days to test it out. I hope thats enough time to see if any bugs would pop up

how is the sata6 with the intel 510?

Isn't the trim enabler hack a little tempestuous with the sata6 drives?

I would prefer a drive with better GC - i am partial to the sandforce sf2000 controller; sacrifice ?reliability for definite speed gains!

Personally, i am going to wait - as im off to Tibet soon- costing me $5K jusr for the trip, so cant really justify the cost atm - when i get back i will be seriously looking into a next gen ssd - i already have the 2nd gen Sf12000 owc drive -more than content with it - but it is only 120gb and im looking for a 240/256gb ssd

If Lion does finally support TRIM for aftermarket ssds (no official confirmation of this), i may even got for the M4, but i think Mid July, when i get back will be 3 months post 3rd gen ssds being released and f/w issues will have been resolved, hopefully and well will know much more re the latest ssds.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I think that's a smart move. I went with the Intel 320, as I wasn't comfortable with some of the kinks that have arisen with the new SATAIII drives. My plan is to move the 320 to my 2008 aluminum macbook and buy a SATAIII SSD to replace the 320 that's currently in my MBP in a year or so when hopefully the kinks have been worked out. Go ahead with the 510.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.