Will this battery charge my MBP 15 2017?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HEDocks, Jun 27, 2017.

1. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Output :5 V / 2.4 A, 9 V / 2 A, 12 V / 1.5 A

If it does, it'll be REALLLLLLYYYY slow, especially with only USB-A outputs (typical charge rate there is 5V, 1.5A.

There has been lots of discussion about this, if I was you I would wait for one that has a higher output capability designed for the MBP, just to avoid potential damage to the external OR internal battery from over-draw (external) or too low of a charge rate (internal and yes it's POSSIBLE but more rare these days). Yes, it says it'll charge a 12" MB, but that computer also comes with a power adapter that's not much more than an iPad adapter where as yours comes with an 87W adapter. I believe the higher output ratings on that battery relate to Qualcomm's Quick Charge, which the Mac does NOT support.

2. Beau10, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017

Beau10 macrumors 6502a

You need a PD battery. Both Anker and Ravpower sell these. They will charge your 15" at roughly 1/3 the rate as your wall charger, and will charge a 13" at about half speed.

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Por...TF8&qid=1498606793&sr=1-1&keywords=pd+battery

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...TF8&qid=1498606819&sr=1-2&keywords=pd+battery
    --- Post Merged, Jun 27, 2017 ---
    It's odd how a solution for this isn't really being discussed on this forum. Ravpower released their battery back in Sept. and I had to find out about it from the Nintendo Switch sub-reddit of all places. I've been running one for months - it works and it's as good as we're going to get for the forseeable future. In any case, Anker just released their PD line and they're a bit more mainstream so hopefully the word will get out. As a remote working software engineer this is one of those things that really has an impact on my day-to-day.

3. Beau10 macrumors 6502a