Will this be ok for my situation?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daynel, Jun 10, 2011.

1. daynel macrumors member

Hi!

Long time reader, first time poster. (Corny, I know.)

Anyways, I just ordered myself a MBP 15' for university (and summer ahah). I've been reading a few threads about glossy vs. hi res vs. anti-glare.

The MBP I ordered has just the regular screen you get, "MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display" so now I'm wondering if this will be ok for me?

Ill mostly just be doing school stuff, and watching movies in my dorm, etc. and possibly doing work in a park or like a starbucks or something.

Ive heard of people who when they have some sort of reflection on the screen just turn the brightness up

anyways im not sure if thats really a question,

Thanks!

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

congratulations. i am sure you will be getting a bunch of opinions. it is a personal preference thing. do you like vanilla or chocolate better?

i like vanilla. i use my computer pretty much the same way as you, and i love the glossy screen. i much prefer it over the ag.

if you don't like it, just return it :)

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I got the AntiGlare because when I travel in my car I wanted to be able to actually see the screen decently. If you plan on being inside 24/7 with it the GLOSS is ALRIGHT, still lights and such reflect so much its like looking into a damn mirror imo.

I say AntiGlare.

4. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

Glossy! The colors are way more vibrant than AG. The glare doesn't bother me like others though....

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Being a photographer, this isnt a plus. But nice, I agree.

6. escogido macrumors member

Colours are def better with glossy, images/movies do look sharper (not a huge difference of course), but when i had a glossy screen i hated the reflection - being outside was out of the question. As you probably figured out, I have an AG and am very happy with it and dont miss the glossy screen

7. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

From the usage you are describing I believe that the glossy display will be just fine.

8. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I'll take the crystal clear glass any day. Those matte looking "anti-glare" screens are plastic which doesn't transmit light as effectively. The glass will also be much more resistant to scratches and chemicals.

If a quality anti-reflective coating were applied, that might be a different story. Plastic screens could be used with some of the ultra-durable Oleophobic/Anti-Reflective/Scratch Resistant coatings used on eyeglasses. I'd be all over something like that. Until then, I'm more than happy to just angle myself or my screen away from a light source.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your macbook pro's screen still has a glossy plastic panel, underneath glossy plastic glass, you get two layers the light has to pass through, your argument is moot.

10. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I've always liked glossy. I've found if you are getting glare, you can just crank up the brightness to compensate for glare (in most situations)

Also I got my new MacBook Pro for college, and I picked glossy.

11. Hackster macrumors member

Hackster

If you dont like the glossy screen, you can just "upgrade" down the road with a anti glare screen protector from ebay for around 15 bucks. Works like a charm :)

12. JR1993 macrumors regular

That might be a problem, but if you are willing to change the angle of your screen, or turn to be oposite the sun, you will be fine i think

13. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you're outside, you'll probably have a hard time reading any computer display, AG or not, if it's bright out. Either way, just crank up the brightness and find some shade, and you'll be fine.

14. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

Making surf videos... it is a huge plus for me.

15. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I have an anti-glare screen protector on my MBP, and its doing great! I'm sure the quality isn't as good as Apple's Anti-Glare screen, but the screen protector does its job for a fraction of the cost. And it can be removed if need be.

As for the screen resolution, the stock 900p res is great, especially compared with PC laptops whose screen res are normally 768p. You should only get the high-res 1050p if you need the extra pixels for graphics intensive apps or just a bigger screen real estate.

16. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it may be rough outside but anywhere else glossy can be just as good as ag based solely on your preference.

17. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I've owned a glossy 15"MBP however, I now own Anti-glare. I can say that the Anti-glare is definitely better (for me that is). I find that I can tolerate looking at the screen for longer periods of time. Easier on the eyes!