Will This Be Possible in IOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 73Acres, Jul 4, 2011.

1. 73Acres macrumors newbie

Recently, while shutting down my computer due to an approaching storm, it took a hit from a lightening strike that came in via the phone cable > Ethernet. It was toast, of course. My insurance policy wouldn't cover it either.

So for five weeks I had nothing but the tiny iPhone screen to conduct online daily matters with. I saved a bit from each paycheck and just this past week I bought an iPad 2. It may well be my only computer from this point forward, due to a tight budget. (I did try to find a Mac Mini or MacBook that I could afford, but the selections were pricey and limited in my area)

I have three separate backups on external drives, plus some portions are also on DropBox. I want to buy an Airport to replace my Linksys and Belkin routers. Would it be possible to plug one of the external backup drives into Airport and access the folders on it, using the iPad? It's not clear to me whether iOS 5 will allow for things like this.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

2. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Apple didn't specifically announce anything like this for iOS5. Their approach for sharing files between devices is the iCloud service. If you've only got a relatively small number of files the it might be possible to get them into iCloud by borrowing a Mac/PC and using that to upload them.

However there maybe a way to use your USB drives that works on the iPad already. The FileBrowser App is able to connect to NAS drives, including the Airport, by using the SMB protocol. So it should just be a matter of plugging your drive in and using this App to pull files off as you need them. For more details have a look at:-

http://www.stratospherix.com/support/interactive_troubleshooter/timecapsule-root.php

3. 73Acres thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

This is exactly what I was hoping for.