Will this be the next 22" LED Apple Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ddarko, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ddarko macrumors 6502

I was reading this press release from Chi Mei Optoelectronics, which provides LCD panels for Apple's notebooks. The press release describes some panels that are on display at Display Taiwan 2007, a trade convention going on right now. Among the panels is a 22" size that "use mercury-free LED backlight modules for enhanced environmental protection and high color saturation and is expected to become the display of choice for home office and entertainment purposes." I think it's reasonable to infer that this panel will be the basis for next mid-model Cinema Display. As with the Macbook Pro, not all the models will be converted to LED panels at once but it appears the mid-model range - 22", 23", 24" - has reached a point where an LED version is being manufactured economically. Here's the link to full press release:

http://www.cmo.com.tw/cmo/english/about/shownews1.jsp?flag=20070612154119

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

3. ddarko thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not saying Apple would add a 22" model to its lineup but the 22" would replace the 23" model. If you look at non-Apple LCD widescreen displays being sold today, 23" screens have completely disappeared and have been replaced with 22" and 24" models (even the iMac uses a 24" panel). Apple is the only one still selling 23" standalone monitors, which makes the economies of scale far less attractive. It's inevitable that the 23" size will disappear in the next refresh of the Cinema Display line. The only question is whether it will replaced with a 22" or 24" model. I was thinking it would be 24" but I'm not aware of anyone making a 24" LED panel and it's not likely that Apple would introduce new Cinema Display models that aren't LED-based. So that leaves this 22" LED panel.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Could be a replacement for the 23" ACD. All depends if it is a S-IPS display and if the resolution is high enough. That will have to be at least 1920x1200. If it is a lower type of display it could be used for the iMac. But I think Apple is going to bring us much higher resolution screens, something with 160 dpi instead of the 96 dpi they use now. Just like the screen of the iPhone. Furthermore, Apple already has a good supplier of screens: LG. I have the impression that LG can make these kind of screens and this company is just duplicating what everyone else makes.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

i doubt that it would replace the 23", I don't see Apple decreasing screen sizes, I would think if anything it would replace the 20"

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Since LCDs are getting cheaper and Apple hates to cut prices I could see them going with a 22", 26"/27", and 30" lineup.

7. MacBook Jack macrumors newbie

That sounds fine with me!

I'll take a 22" thanks.