will this be the next new macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by starixus, Jan 29, 2010.

1. starixus macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    ever since the introduction of iphone back in 2007, the next generation of macbook pro had then incoporated multi-touch function to the touch pad, soon after it had then evolved to multi-touch glass touch pad as the entire multi-touch funtion. I am wondering after the introduction of ipad, will the next revision of macbook pro incoporates multi-touch screen like the ipad? cheers

starixus:D

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

MacBook's use OS X;
    OS X isn't built for touch screen input;
    ergo: bad user experience;
    ergo: not gonna happen

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nah, I don't see it happening. The mouse and keyboard are still the best ways to input data and interact with a Mac. Perhaps if OSX goes through a major revision to enable multi-touch, but I don't see that happening at least quite yet.

I'm not saying it will never happen, but not quite yet.

4. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I doubt it and besides, it may kill some people to find out that a new MBP is out making their MBPs obsolete tech ... even at 13", 15", OR 17"!

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The iPad is a fundamentally different approach to personal computing, as compared to and OS X-based system. I don't think we'll see Apples mixing these two different approaches on a single platform.

7. bluefox9er macrumors regular

*i* f*i*nd *i*smudges on an *i*screen to be really *i*rr*i*tating.

8. Peter95 macrumors member

Uhh..... No.

That is why they came out with the ipad.
    If they did that and did the same for the MacBook, why would be the point?

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

We will never see a touchscreen laptop from Apple simply because using one would be supremely awkward. The iPad and iPhone work because you hold them in your hands like you would a piece of paper. Now, if it was on a laptop it would be essentially the same as holding a piece of paper with arms stretched out in front trying to do something on it. Your arms would tire very quickly.

Add to that that OSX is not made for touchscreen use at all. I'm glad that Apple has realised that touchscreen OS and traditional OS are two different things instead of trying to shoehorn regular desktop conventions to touchscreen by replacing the cursor with a big ol' finger.

10. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying OSX isn't made for touchscreen use. Cult of Mac had this article: http://www.cultofmac.com/more-evidence-that-snow-leopard-is-a-touchscreen-operating-system/15318

I also don't think we will see an all touch laptop. I can however, imagine a touchscreen 22" iMac that has been mentioned. http://www.pcworld.com/article/187111/22inch_touchscreen_imac_in_the_works_report_says.html

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

Just because there's a virtual keyboard doesn't mean it's suited for touchscreen use. All clickable targets are too small for fingers and since OSX still doesn't support user interface scaling properly, we most likely won't see it work until OSX 10.7.

A touchscreen iMac would have to be very different from the current ones because holding your hands in front of you is very tiring. I tried the HP TouchSmart for about 10-15 minutes and my hands got tired from clicking very quickly due to having to hold them extended in front of me so much.

12. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

That is why I don't think a touch screen would be all that useful on traditional laptops and desktop computers. It would be painful holding your arms out all day long trying to use a touch screen computer. Actually just hold your arms out for 15 minutes and I think most people would find that painful so I agree about the ergonomics of it all.

Apple does think outside of the box so they might add it somehow but I doubt they would keep the traditional computer setup if they do. I would definitely find it a pain to use a touch screen on a traditional computer especially a large screen where I would have to constantly reach back and forth. As you can tell I'm not really that excited about having touch screen technology on traditional computers. It works for the iPad, iPhone, etc because those devices are used differently.

13. theydonotmove macrumors member

theydonotmove

you ever reach out with your arms to hold a painting while someone else nails it to the wall?

after about a minute your shoulders hurt like a bitch right?

same with a touch-screen computer. It just doesn't make ergonomic sense.

14. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Great idea in theory, but I don't see the practicality of a multi-touch screen.

Habitus :apple:

15. robj macrumors regular

And what do you want to have a touch screen for?

I don't see any point in having a touch screen. Really :)

Others tried to make a mix between a laptop and a tablet and they failed, what's different now?

16. husker4 macrumors member

I think being able to flip the screen and writing notes and sketching would be helpful. The rest would depend on how well the software could be redesigned. They've already began changing iLife for multi-touch. Another idea that is a possibility is multiple operating systems. The lenovo hybrid changes when the tablet is taken off. Maybe when the screen is flipped around it can change to the iPhone os?