Will this cause a delay for preorderers?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Santoanderson, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Santoanderson macrumors member

Hey all,
    Rumblings are suggesting that Apple may end up holding back the preorder shipments until they can resolve the screen and hissing issues. Does anyone think that Apple could very well cease production until they can fix the problem and then fulfill the orders? :eek:

2. MichaelThomas macrumors member

No idea, but if it means that we have to wait a week or two extra in order to have the screens we were promised then so be it!

3. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Which rumblings?

If stocks suddenly become limited in stores (indicating they've halted production and/or recalled existing stocks) then that would be a sign of something happening.

It suspect all they need to do is apply better QC to the production line and stop the bad ones entering the retail channel for now, even in the absence of a final fix.

4. Santoanderson thread starter macrumors member

Well, not so much an evident rumbling, but more like a hunch. Things are going quite apesh*t at Apple this morning with undoubtedly thousands of phone calls and e-mails pouring into the switchboards. Hell, the official discussion boards were taken down due to sheer volume of complaints. If I were Steve I would stop the assembly line, fire the morons sleeping on the job and check each individual ipod one by one. Otherwise this product will become the laughing stock of portable electronics.

Seriously, aren't the people at Quality Control turning the units on before they ship them out?

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

we can only hope

no, there is no reason to, even so you would have to load content on it and watch it for a bit to see the problems, so simply turing the unit on looking at it turning it off and sticking it in the box isnt going to do crap

they dont even turn on the Mac Book Pros to see that they have a yellow screen do you really think they are going to bother doing that with a 3-400 dollar music player?

its an electronic device created by a machine, it should be perfect

6. Santoanderson thread starter macrumors member

Well, even so I know on my 5G Ipod that the default load screen is a silver apple on a black background. A simple diagnostic image like that could've saved Jobs a lot of money.
    I was really hoping that this launch would go off without a problem.

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

its cutting edge hardware that no one has ever done before, what do you want?

8. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Did you just go from "rumor" to "my opinion" in 1 sentence? A little misleading from your original post.

9. jouster macrumors 65816

What s/he paid for?

10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

An LCD screen is not cutting edge hardware, it's the other stuff that is cutting edge. And the Touch is heavily based on an existing product anyway.

In any case, if there is a delay and it allows Apple to sort everything out, then that is a good thing, trust me. The Touch JUST starting appearing in stores late last week, so let's give them a bit of time.

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

After all, this is Macrumors! ;) Let's post this on Page 2-

12. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

A lot of FUD here. I called Apple (to cancel my Touch online order, already got a good one), and it took a little while, but not forever. The discussion boards apparently were down for some few minutes, but have been up for hours w./complaint threads intact. I doubt it's any deliberate plan by Apple that has slowed the preorders; but, those who persevere may get a later & better batch.

13. onvinyl macrumors newbie

1.) Do you work at Apple?
    2.) This is nothing unusual for a new product. It is impossible to predict every mishap.
    3.) Were you joking with that Steve Jobs comment? You can't just STOP an assembly line in China... and as for 'this product becoming the laughing stock of portable electronics,' have you missed the last 6 years of iPods? You should wiki that **** and check it out.

14. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

as its been said many times that's just the fun of being an early adopted

15. Santoanderson thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I am officially turned off to internet message boards now. You people are all way too touchy. All I know is that I just forked out a week's salary for a product that should be working correctly. Go back to your shanties.

16. onvinyl macrumors newbie