Will This CPU Work in My G4 Quicksilver?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacDann, Apr 20, 2007.

1. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I can't seem to find specific information that would tell me if a 1.25 GHz processor from a MDD G4 would swap into a G4 Quicksilver (733 MHz) I have sitting in a corner.

They are both single processor machines, but I question the compatibility. I don't have the MDD machine with the 1.25 GHZ processor yet, so I can't look at them both for comparison.

??

MD

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I really don't know for sure if it will work, but I believe they're both daughter cards, so they should physically fit.

3. trogdor! macrumors regular

I tried looking into this once and I found that yes, they are both daughter cards but they are different. The socket is the same, but the daughtercard from the mdd will not fit properly around ram slots on the quicksilver if im not mistaken. Correct me if im wrong....

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I think it might work, except you might have a slower clock speed when all said and done. When compared with each other yes they both are daughter cards. However, you stated you want to install the MDD 1.25 processor into a QS 733 case?

I don't know if this will work perfectly, because the MDD G4 1.25 is a Dual Processor, and not a Single. Also, the MDDs were found to run hotter than the QS's. This is partly why Apple designed them like a 'Wind-tunnel'. To help them run cooler.

Another thing that you might consider is that the bus speeds are a little faster in the MDDs. The QuickSilver only had a 133 bus, while the MDDs have 167 bus speed.

just some FYIs.

EveryMac.com

5. dex22 macrumors regular

MDD processor cards do not work in Quicksilver or Quicksilver 2002 machines.

6. MacDann thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Thanks for the info, Dex22!

MD