Will this CPU work in my sawtooth?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rabidz7, Jul 7, 2013.

1. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

As long as the Sawtooth is a Uni-7 board it will. But that seems rather expensive for a 7457.

3. powermi macrumors regular

nice to see that is possible to find this CPU upgrades actually, but its pretty expensive mate!

4. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

It may work as others stated.
    But for a little more than that I bought my quad g5!(230eur)
    Even weeks ago I sold a single 1.2GHz Sonnet G4 + Geforce 6200 + shipping to US for 100eur..

5. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

As Intell pointed out, you need to verify that your motherboard will support dual CPUs if you haven't already. Early Sawtooth models did not.

Agree that this is expensive. I've seen 7448 upgrades go for less. However, I noticed that the auction has the "make offer" option enabled. Doing so never hurts. It's doubtful that seller will get the asking price for this and it's not the first time that seller has listed this item (maybe ready to dump it?). You might get lucky. Keep in mind that you could purchase three high end dual CPU MDDs for the asking price. Or a low end Intel Mac.

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

This upgrade is pricey but also in mint condition, with box and drivers CD. And it's rare. More like collectors item. Is it worth $270? Depends for whom, I guess.

7. honam1021 macrumors regular

Unless you really need to boot into OS 9. Just get a quad G5 with the same sum of money. It much, much more faster.

8. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I already have a quad...

9. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

I saw a couple months ago a 7448 single 2Ghz for 143$ plus shipping. Much rarer, faster, and for half the price. That 270$ appeared like two or three months ago and anyone has bought it yet, a good indicator that it's not a reasonable price. However, I've never heard about someone collecting processors. :p

10. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Great price for 7448. Dual 7457 are pretty rare as well, but 7448 for $143 is no brainer.

I imagine they exist somewhere ;)

11. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

I've seen that auction a few weeks ago, too. I asked the person, whether he would ship to Europe. He answered that he didn't even have the will to consider it or even look up prices. Very low engagement for a person that wants to sell an overpriced upgrade...

The 7448 @ 2GHz, I saw, too. There were actually two. One was located in South Korea. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Newertech-ma...L5SeZV53oazmzL%2BmC6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

If you search world wide you find a lot 7447 and 7455s.

A Dual 1,4GHz 7455B (with jumpers to costum set your CPU speed and use different fan speeds, also with the ability to jumper it for 100MHz and 133MHz BUS accordingly http://www.ebay.de/itm/G-Celerator-...L5SeZV53oazmzL%2BmC6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
    (custom made fan plus original fan+heatsink was said to be delivered.)

800MHz http://www.ebay.de/itm/Apple-Cube-P...L5SeZV53oazmzL%2BmC6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

1GHz Card for PCI-PowerMac G4 (though 1GHz is said to not be able to be fully used by the machine) http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-GHz-Apple-...L5SeZV53oazmzL%2BmC6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc (saw one once going for 15,-EUR without shipping).

1,8GHz 7447 Single:
    1. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sonnet-Encor...L5SeZV53oazmzL%2BmC6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
    2. (that person schlumberger seems to have a big store room with leftovers, or he likes to pay fees for auctions he wins himself, I saw him sell over 10 now). http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sonnet-Encor...L5SeZV53oazmzL%2BmC6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
    3. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sonnet-Encor...L5SeZV53oazmzL%2BmC6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I was lucky getting a 7448 2GHz for 75,- + 7,-EUR shipping here on German Ebay.

12. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

Wow, that's really a great price :eek:
    I've been searching for 7448 units for a while, more than a year now, and the only 7448 I found is the one in your first link (apart form a 799€ 7448 that appeared on eBay Spain and obviously was never sold). Looks like everyone is happy with his 7448, although I've never sean a real benchmark or temperature comparison between the two.

13. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

I actually wanted to do a comparison of the stock MDD 1,25 or 1,42GHz CPU, the Sonnet 7447a and 7455B and this one in a Sawtooth, but I do not have an MDD, yet and do not have the time and patience to do tests. If, I do it, I would like to hook up a Wattmeter to them and measure the temperature with a PC-temp-sensor-control-unit. But the last time I did benchmarks with Xbench, to find out whether a ACARD or Sonnet or Macally ATA-PCI Card was faster, it lead me to unusefull results, that differed a lot within the same drive and Card. After hours of testing and on- and unplugging HDDs and cards, I felt the only result was that I felt I had wrecked my nerves.
    I would like to do the test somewhen, but for now it does not look as, if the time has come for me to be willing to do it.

On saturday there were 4 G4s sold as defective, twwo of them had Gigadesigns or PowerLogix CPU Upgrades in them, unfortunately, I wasn't at home, when the auction ended (I was hoping to find a 7457 in there).

look the detailed pictures http://www.ebay.de/itm/4-Apple-Powe...L5SeZV53oazmzL%2BmC6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

In the attachement you see the 7448 that I bought, as seen in my account. It was in February, which is why Ebay does not show it any longer and you can't see a picture of it in my account (I think they only let one track back two months).

Attached Files:

14. powermi macrumors regular

here another looking for a good CPU upgrade for my quicksilver. at first i would like to find a 7448 if not a good 7455 will be enought.

15. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I get why people would wanna upgrade a sawtooth, they are great and powerful machines

at some point (not sure if this was marketing or not) they were even considered weapons of war by our us government for being considered too powerful...

I swear if timetravel is ever invented I am going to go back to 1999 with a 12-core mac pro and watch them **** bricks

16. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

No, I wasn't just marketing. They were actually considered supercomputers.:D

17. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

It was both. Apple's marketing team took advantage of some dated government regulations and definitions. But yes, it was technically true. Capable of over a billion floating point calculations per second, the G4 was considered a supercomputer at the time that it came to market.

18. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

but, what are the minimum specs a computer would have to have to be considered a supercompuer today.

I would imagine it would have to be some weird kind of double size tower with 4 of those new 12-core xeon processors. 16 ram slots populated with 32 gig ddr3 modules. have 4 titans in sli and be hooked up to some serious raid array for storage

19. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Could be a POWER chip either.

20. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

It wasn't just Apple taking advantage of those regulations. I believe that it couldn't be exported to some countries; the US blocked it.

21. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

For me it is more the fact, that I can have the Power of A MDD with less noise :) (A 2x1,25GHz MDD would have technical advantages and cost much less, than a Sonnet 2x1,8GHz 7447). Yes, I know, some will come up, that the MDD is not as reliable as the Sawtooth... Well, I am not sure, but one could save oneself in having some spare parts around, which a cheap today.

22. powermi macrumors regular

i have the chance of buying a 1,4 sonnet cpu, that is a 7455 processor like the cpu of my quicksilver. would i notice an improvement or is better to get a dual 1ghz from an original quicksilver?

23. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

I'd go with the OEM dual 1GHz module.

24. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

From these two I'd choose 1.4 Sonnet 7455. Higher clock = better performance in most cases.
    I'd opt for dual 1.0 only when heavy multitasking/handbrake would be involved. In this case get one with heatsink included. Improve cooling because they're running hot. I've had few 1.0 DPs with burnt right CPU (literally). PCBs were bent from the heat.