Will this dual monitor/ethernet setup work?

kinsdotnet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
So I convinced my workplace to get me a 13 inch retina MacBook Pro as my work computer. The problem I've run into, however lies in the display adapters and lack of ethernet.

The only solution, given my monitors, that I can come up with is to connect one display via displayport/thunderbolt, and connect the other display via HDMI-> displayport adapter using the HDMI port on my MacBook.

This would leave one thunderbolt port open for use with a thunderbolt->ethernet adapter.

Would this setup work? Can I use HDMI->Displayport and still use the other thunderbolt for display?

Is there a better alternative anyone has come up with?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Can I use HDMI->Displayport and still use the other thunderbolt for display?
No, DP to HDMI cables only work DP to HDMI. Going the opposite direction requires active conversation rather than a passive adapter.

I was about to ask which manufacturer in their right mind would limit a display to DP only... I guess I forgot where I was :p

x3n0n1c

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2014
So I convinced my workplace to get me a 13 inch retina MacBook Pro as my work computer. The problem I've run into, however lies in the display adapters and lack of ethernet.

The only solution, given my monitors, that I can come up with is to connect one display via displayport/thunderbolt, and connect the other display via HDMI-> displayport adapter using the HDMI port on my MacBook.

This would leave one thunderbolt port open for use with a thunderbolt->ethernet adapter.

Would this setup work? Can I use HDMI->Displayport and still use the other thunderbolt for display?

Is there a better alternative anyone has come up with?
Just use a USB Gigabit Ethernet adapter, that will free up the two thunderbolt ports for display purposes.

kinsdotnet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
No, DP to HDMI cables only work DP to HDMI. Going the opposite direction requires active conversation rather than a passive adapter.

I was about to ask which manufacturer in their right mind would limit a display to DP only... I guess I forgot where I was :p
The displays I'm attaching to also have DVI and VGA. I wasn't aware of that limitation of HDMI. Can I go HDMI to DVI in such a fashion?

I may be resigned to just using USB to ethernet, but its speed limitation is disconcerting.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
AFAIK HDMI and DVI use the same signals so you can easily use an HDMI to DVI cable.

Killerbob

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Get the ATD, it connects via TB/DP, has en Ethernet port on it, and is an excellent monitor...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.