Will this dual monitor/ethernet setup work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kinsdotnet, Sep 23, 2014.

1. kinsdotnet macrumors newbie

So I convinced my workplace to get me a 13 inch retina MacBook Pro as my work computer. The problem I've run into, however lies in the display adapters and lack of ethernet.

The only solution, given my monitors, that I can come up with is to connect one display via displayport/thunderbolt, and connect the other display via HDMI-> displayport adapter using the HDMI port on my MacBook.

This would leave one thunderbolt port open for use with a thunderbolt->ethernet adapter.

Would this setup work? Can I use HDMI->Displayport and still use the other thunderbolt for display?

Is there a better alternative anyone has come up with?

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

No, DP to HDMI cables only work DP to HDMI. Going the opposite direction requires active conversation rather than a passive adapter.

I was about to ask which manufacturer in their right mind would limit a display to DP only... I guess I forgot where I was :p

3. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

Just use a USB Gigabit Ethernet adapter, that will free up the two thunderbolt ports for display purposes.

4. kinsdotnet thread starter macrumors newbie

The displays I'm attaching to also have DVI and VGA. I wasn't aware of that limitation of HDMI. Can I go HDMI to DVI in such a fashion?

I may be resigned to just using USB to ethernet, but its speed limitation is disconcerting.

5. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

AFAIK HDMI and DVI use the same signals so you can easily use an HDMI to DVI cable.

6. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Get the ATD, it connects via TB/DP, has en Ethernet port on it, and is an excellent monitor...