Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalVideo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2004
Ok, here's the deal. I have a DVD project made in DVD Studio Pro, and I need to make a DVD+R. My Powerbook reads +R's, so I'm assuming I can write to it with the Finder (I don't have Toast). Does anyone know if I can just burn the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS onto the disk with the Finder?

ps. Oh yah, the disk does not have to play on a DVD player, only a Windows computer, so the user can open the VIDEO_TS file with Windows Media Player or something.

Thankx for your advice!

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
DigitalVideo said:
Ok, here's the deal. I have a DVD project made in DVD Studio Pro, and I need to make a DVD+R. My Powerbook reads +R's, so I'm assuming I can write to it with the Finder (I don't have Toast). Does anyone know if I can just burn the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS onto the disk with the Finder?

ps. Oh yah, the disk does not have to play on a DVD player, only a Windows computer, so the user can open the VIDEO_TS file with Windows Media Player or something.

Thankx for your advice!
So, you didn't just burn it to a DVD using DVD Studio Pro? Or are you trying to share the raw information of the project? Or I'm guessing you can save your project as a disk image since iDVD can do it, then if you want to burn that you can do it with Disk Utility by dragging the image file into the area on the left side choosing it then burning it.

Yeah yeah, I'm answering all the questions no one got around to answering. At least I'm trying.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
All I know is that iDVD in iLife05 can burn all types of medias, -r and +r, so I'm guessing that the other more advanced suites can too. But that is just a guess. Plus it depends on what your drive is. Of course, its most likely a DVD-R drive that you have, but I'm wondering if you just tried to burn it and see if the media just works. Otherwise, you will need to find another computer, or an external DVD+R burner to be able to use that media. But the thing is, the clients DVD+R drive might be able to read the DVD-R. DVD-R is more compatible with regular DVD players than DVD+R. That is the reason why Apple went with it in the first place, so you can burn then play on more dvd players than the other type of media. That is if my memory serves me right.

I'm guessing that you want to send the client something that will look like the final product or takes them though the video clips on the DVD with ease. So burning it onto a DVD-R might not be a bad idea. Because you never know, they might take it home with them to play on their home DVD player, or their DVD player in their desktop should be able to read it. Now that I think of it, I have given people DVD-R media with files on it, and they have watched the stuff on an HP PC with a DVD+RW drive. Let me ask her when she gets back, but I do believe it worked.

EDIT: OK she can't remember, so you might just want to post a new thread asking if +R drives can read a burned -R disk.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I've had no problem with DVD-r discs in DVD+r drives, I think the key is copy protection or Macrovision, if you leave that off, then the discs seem to run fine, but as varmit says it's a bit of a lottery with the drive and it's firmware.

As a rule of thumb, if it plays in my PS2 it'll play anywhere.

As a side issue, if you use Toast to burn a VIDEO_TS folder, remember to delete the DS files that toast adds, they can cause trouble on some drives.

Using Toast to burn DVDSP projects has been my preffered method of production for a while now, although Popcorn is a little more convenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.