Will this game work?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by danny234, May 7, 2015.

1. danny234 macrumors newbie

Hello!
    I know this is kind of a silly question, so I apologize in advance :)
    I'd like to get the new Macbook. Most of my usage is browsing and email, but occasionally I like to play adventure games (huge fan). Most these games are not very graphic intensive, but I was wondering if anyone here that owns the new Macbook also happens to own this game:
    http://cyan.com/games/realmyst-masterpiece-edition/

...and can tell me whether it runs fine or not. It's working pretty smoothly on my 2013 1.3ghz MBA, but it does get fairly hot and the fan comes on.
    If you don't have the game but you can make an educated guess, I'll take that as well ;)

Thanks in advance!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

If your Air gets hot and the fan runs a lot the new MB will not do well. It will throttle down the processor within minutes of use due to heating. The MB is not a great gaming machine.

3. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

Played this game for a solid 30 minutes... no throttling, and it ran pretty well. There were a few bouts of dropped frames (or lag), but I was playing at medium settings and at 1024x768 resolution. I tried low settings for a while, and it ran smooth, but doesn't look that great. The machine got fairly warm (as expected), but not hot to the touch. Overall, I think I could've played for another hour or two if I wanted, but I wanted to try it before going to work. I'll have to try it again this weekend (if I'm not too busy).

I have the 1.2GHz/512 rMB

4. danny234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for checking that out for me!!! Sounds like it's playable, which is great news.

5. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

This is exactly why you should never take advice from someone who doesn't own the machine.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

It is also why you should never take advice from someone who it makes them feel good by listing a bunch old hardware in their post.

The MB I used slowed to a crawl just syncing my Dropbox files. Let it cool down and it would run great for a few minutes and slow to the point it was useless. :eek:

7. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Hmmm...don't think I gave advice :eek:

Devices owned/used is in a signature for the reference of other forum members so they know what systems a poster is running and can judge the relevance of their posts - like you said, my Macs are at least four years old at the moment, its not a pissing contest, if it was I would lose. I have never seen it that way at all, and appreciate knowing what others are running.

A member that actually owns the machine and tested the game the OP asked about had a vastly different actual experience than the anecdotal supposition your condecending dismissive post suggested.

Syncing a Dropbox folder from scratch bogs down and heats up every Mac I've ever done it with at home and in the workplace - MBA's, MBP's, iMac's - it hogs connection bandwidth and loads the SSD with constant writes...not hard to understand that the system gets sluggish, and it has absolutely nothing to do with CPU/GPU power, or gaming. :rolleyes:

8. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Then either the dropbox software is terrible or it was slow due to the network or there is nothing wrong with your machine. I have not see anything like this even when doing heavy exporting from Lightroom (which is using the GPU as well as the CPU and makes the bottom uncomfortably warm).

The machine slows for other tasks since one task is swamping the machine. But it was not throttling due to heat.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Just reporting my results. Crazy how if you waiting a while it would download quickly again for a few minutes before it slowed again. Not the network as I can sync other devices and the speed stays the same throughout. There is also nothing wrong with DropBox, but good try.

----------

Well my MacBook Pro seems to take it in stride along with the iMac 27. Maybe mine are defective for not bogging down. I tested them and move data and there was a pretty constant sync through out the entire.

You are write, I do not own the new MB but spent three days with one. I even retested last night with the same results.