Will this go away with time? (pictures)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flipster, Jul 6, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

I noticed that my Verizon iPhone's screen has a warmer hue then the rest of my friends. I took some comparison shots below.

This is actually a replacement iPhone because the previous one had a worse yellow tint (if you can believe that).

When I had it replaced, the genius knew it wasn't suppose to be like that. He quickly brought out out a new one (props to Apple customer service) and since the mall was closing, we had to leave in a rush.

When I got home, I noticed the screen was better but not up to par with how it should be. The reason why I bought this phone was because when I walked into an Apple store, I liked the retina display so much that I decided I wanted an iPhone. All the displays in the store have that bright clear blue display.

I know that with mass production, comes variation, and that my eyes will adjust to it eventually, but it's really been bugging me. Everyday, actually.

So my question is, will this go away in time? Here are some examples of what i mean. Thank you!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Mine is blue, but I really wouldn’t care one way or the other. If it bothers you, and it seems it does, take it back until you get what you want.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

A lot of the new screens are yellow. Just the way it is! Don't compare it to other iOS devices and you'll get used to it. :)

4. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

My first ipad had that same problem and it never went away. It drove me nuts when watching movies or playing some games. Thankfully my new one does not have that problem nor does my iphone. I would take it back and have them pulled the new one out of the box and check it before you walk out of the store. They might get abit touchy if this will be your second return but it is worth a try. Either that or wait until the next iphone comes out and try again!

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Hopefully the yellow screen is a quality control issue and will be eradicated with future models. I can't see them adopting this as a standard screen. Although it is easy to get used to, it's also unattractive.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Looking at the two pictures, I can hardly notice a difference. Both screens look great and I bet they would look even better in person. :)

7. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't help but be obsessive with this. Every time I look at the phone, I think of how much better it can look. And sometimes I notice that it does have a yellow hue.

I don't think it's suppose to be like this, solely due to the fact that every single model in the apple store had a blue tinted, bright display that looks a lot better than the washed out yellow one that I have. Also, many of my friends' screens look A LOT better as well. I hope it goes away with time, but I have my doubts.

Anyone have this problem but the color faded to normal?

8. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

You clearly have no idea what OCD is.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Someone who's persistently obsessing over tiny little nonsense.
    Kinda like you;)

10. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

That looks really bad... Ignore the person calling you OCD. I easily notice that. The screen's are suppose to have the blue tint, not yellow. Ask for an exchange.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

12. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Not really. The trait you're referring to is more commonly referred to as anal-retentive. Obsessive compulsive disorder is quite different, actually.

13. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is the replacement :eek:. The one before that was even worse! I'm afraid that when they crack open the box, I'll get an even worse display, and last time the genius told me that it would look yellow at first because it had been in the darkness (i knew this wasn't true due to the fact that my friends iPhone was super bright right out of the box, and LED's come onto full brightness instantly).

I feel like I'm an annoyance when I walk in there. They have no problem exchanging it, but I'll feel bad if I have to make them open up 10 boxes to get the right display, but at the same time it's really bothersome to have a display that looks like a dirty teabag :p. How would you go about asking for another replacement? (By this I mean what would YOU say?) I was thinking of saying something like "I bought the iPhone because when I walked into this store, I loved the bright blue screen, and I got a yellow one. I got it exchanged two weeks ago, but it is still yellow and I'm kind of tired of driving all the way up here to get the same lousy screen again. Can you help me out?" :apple:

14. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Re read my post and read all 3 of those threads I linked you and you will get your answer.

They wont keep opening boxes unless you get a good genius.

15. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

My model number is C7DF59WNDDP7 if that helps? Should I call applecare and ask them for a replacement? Will they charge me?

Thank you guys for being so helpful! :D

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yes, call Applecare, ask for senior advisor and a advanced replacement. Tell the senior advisor he needs to see your pictures, so he will ask you to email them. This guaranteed my brand new product instantly. Heres what the email looks like once you get it working...

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for contacting AppleCare.

Recently a product replacement was created under case ID 227816028, for serial number 611219LCA4S. I will be tracking this replacement and keeping you informed via email as the process continues.

I was unable to reach you on the phone at your listed phone number. I would like to confirm the following information so I can process your order (for privacy/security reasons, I am unable to provide the shipping address that we have for you).

Please respond with your shipping address and confirm that the configuration of the replacement product is either correct or incorrect.

IPHONE 4 BLACK 16GB

17. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will definitely give them a call tomorrow.

But though, will they charge me for anything or put a hold on my account? What if the replacement is still yellow?

Thank you so much!

18. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

The replacement is a brand new phone in the white box all sealed. You even get to keep the headphones and stuff. It won't be yellow but it won't be as blue as displays.

A 599$ or 699$ (depending on model) hold will be put on CC.

But the phone ships overnight, then you send your phone back overnight. Hold won't even be on there for 4 days. Its crazy fast.

Plus you get a brand new warranty too.

19. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

This kind of thing happens with LCDs all the time. My iMac had a (slight) yellow tint. Luckily OS X has display color management :). A few tweaks and it's all better. Sadly iOS doesn't have anything like that.

Also, the iPhones at the store shouldn't have a blue tint. That is just as much a flaw as a yellow tint. the screen should be calibrated to a neutral white.

20. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

At this point, I don't know if you can ever be satisfied.

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yes he will once he does what I said.

Hoping for results soon OP.

22. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I don't believe he will.

This sounds like an exact repeat of anal-retentive people throwing hissy fits about iPod Touches.

Granted, he's a little more sensible and much less RAGERAGERAGE.

23. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I stated before I have no problem keeping it, and all I asked is if it would go away with time. It is bothersome, but my chances of getting a perfect iPhone are slim to none.

I'm going to call apple on Saturday, I have one last comparison to make before I ask them to overnight me a new phone. I will update you all once the replacement arrives which will most likely be monday. I really hope I get that perfect, vibrant screen!

24. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

So you are getting a replacement via mail?

25. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. I'm going to compare it to my friend's Verizon iPhone tomorrow, reason being is because the only phones with that bright blue, clear screen that I'VE seen have been AT&T models. If my friend's Verizon model is brighter than mine, I will definitely call on Friday or Saturday.

The only reason im skeptical to call is because there are other phones that have worse screens than mine (as crazy as that sounds) and I'm gonna be pretty ticked off if the replacement gets here and the screen is the same. Then what? Anyway, I'll definitely update here once the replacement arrives (most likely Monday) and then post comparisons/ results.