will this graphics card work in my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rangerfreak1, Mar 26, 2009.

1. rangerfreak1 macrumors member

2. rangerfreak1 thread starter macrumors member

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

What card do you have in the MP now, and which monitors?

Too vague ATM. Details would help. :)

4. rangerfreak1 thread starter macrumors member

i have the barebones stock card with 1 dvi input and 1 mini input and a 20 inch lcd monitor

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Here's the specs listed by Apple for the graphics card:
    A dual link port can run 2 monitors if they have a resolution of 1920x1200 or lower. So if the second monitor is going to be another 20", the existing card CAN RUN BOTH. :D You'd need to get a DVI Y Splitter. ;) The port will run BOTH monitors, if you mean to do it off the same card.

If not, then the 3870 would work (intending on a separate graphics card for each monitor). OS X seems to be able to handle cards by different manufacturers, but Vista won't. If you want to run windows, you'll have to wait for Windows 7, as it doesn't have a problem with mixed graphics card makers. In the mean time, you'd have to pull one I believe. (Search the forum, as there's info on this).

I'm not sure if you want a second card (separate card for each monitor), or the size, so I can't really offer any more information ATM.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Or just buy the Mini DisplayPort-DVI adapter for five bucks more and you can use both ports. Either way works well.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

:eek: But it costs MORE! :D :p

Actually, I was thinking in as general a terms as possible, and figured the monitor would likely be DVI, and going with the Y splitter might avoid some issues users are mentioning about the Mini DisplayPort. (I've not had the ability to witness it, but I prefer to think in terms of avoidance...) ;)

8. rangerfreak1 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your time. you all answered all my questions