Will This Hard Drive Work With My Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Jul 4, 2008.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

This is a Western Digital "My Book" Hard Drive. It hold 500GB and connects via Ethernet cable. On the Western Digital website, the "for requirements" section says that you need:

System Requirements
    Available Ethernet connection (network adapter, router, switch, or hub port)
    Broadband Internet connection
    500 MB of available local hard drive space
    512 MB RAM
    Pentium III class, 500 MHz or newer
    Windows® Vista/2000/XP Home/Pro
    Web browser (Internet Explorer 6.0 or later, Mozilla Firefox 1.0.3 or later)
    CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive

wdfMyBook_World_1N-1.jpg
    wdfMyBook_World_1N.jpg

Is there anyway I can get this to work on a MacBook Pro Running Leopard 10.5.4?
    Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes but make sure you reformat it before you use it as it is likely formatted for windows.

4. PLin macrumors 6502

It will work, but this particular drive isn't intended to be attached directly to your computer. It's intended to be used on the network. The software that comes with the drive is not compatible with Mac. You should be able to access the drive using SMB, but the advanced features that allow you to access your files remotely will not work.

5. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

The computer can't see it. I've plugged it in with the ethernet cable to the MBP and it never showed up. In System Preferences it said that there was something in the ethernet port. Then I plugged the ethernet cable into the AirPort ethernet port - still no luck.

This HD was formatted in Windows format. How do I reformat this Hard Drive? I don't have a Windows computer either.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What happened to the Windows computer you used to format it? Where did the drive come from?

7. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

It was my Dad's HD, but he left it at the house when my mom and dad separated.