Will this HDD work?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
It will work, but may needed to be formatted before OSX can be installed onto it. Install the drive, boot off your OS X disks and run Disk Utility. You should format it to Mac OS X Extended Journaled.

Comment

bhattsan

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
It will work, but may needed to be formatted before OSX can be installed onto it. Install the drive, boot off your OS X disks and run Disk Utility. You should format it to Mac OS X Extended Journaled.
Main thing is, you need to repartition in and under 'Options' you have to pick GUID Partition Table.

Comment

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Main thing is, you need to repartition in and under 'Options' you have to pick GUID Partition Table.
AFAIK, that is automatically done when formatted. I tried this with my USB stick a while back. I erased it and it had Master Boot before and after the erase it was GUID.

Comment

guyducati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Also, quick question. How much do you think I can sell my existing hdd for? Its the stock 250GB HDD. I bought my Macbook Pro in January of 2009, so its about a year and half old. I checked eBay, but there were really only new HDDs for sale for around $50. Would $30 on eBay be a good price?

Comment

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Also, quick question. How much do you think I can sell my existing hdd for? Its the stock 250GB HDD. I bought my Macbook Pro in January of 2009, so its about a year and half old. I checked eBay, but there were really only new HDDs for sale for around $50. Would $30 on eBay be a good price?
Buy an external enclosure and use it as external for backups etc.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.