Will this Icy Dock (SSD to HDD converter) work for the Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MythicFrost, Sep 6, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hey, I've found this Icy Dock on amazon for $20, will it work in the Mac Pro? does anyone know?

Amazon Link

Kind Regards

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I have one in the retail packaging sitting on my lap that I got with my SSD purchase, it *looks* as though it converts to the standard 3.5" drive I think it would work, I can open my Mac Pro tomorrow and check for sure if you'd like.

Andrew

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thanks for the offer, but that's OK. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they tried that and that it did not work, but thanks again.

I've found one that people say work on OWC, but I'd have to pay an extra $50 shipping :eek:, rather than having it all done from Amazon, but it's not a big deal LOL.

What did you fit your X25's in with?

Kind Regards

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

They are in the optical drive bay, using the 2 extra SATA ports, as I have 4 x 1tb WD Blacks in the 4 drive bays.

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Heh nice :O

You have dedicated Raid Card?

Kind Regards

6. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Negative, the 2 X-25s are in software raid, and I get about 430 mb/s read / 250 mb/s write, and each of the 1tb drives are separate, because I use them for different things, I have thought about a RAID card, but for me there isn't a point, if I want to use them I'll use a software raid, and save $700+, but like I said, I don't have a great need for one, like other folks around here do.

7. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Wow, that's a lot!

Did you notice a big difference going from 1 x25 to 2 x25's in a raid 0?

8. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Definitely, everything is so quick, I can never go back to mechanical drives for boot drives, when I got my new 13 uMBP it was sooo slow that I had no choice but to buy another X-25 to put in as a boot drive. Applications open as soon as you click them, there is no waiting, it's AWESOME.

After using SSDs I wonder how I ever used a computer with a mechanical drive. :eek:

9. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost