Will this improve my wireless signal? AirPort question !

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mgpg89, Oct 31, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Currently we have this set-up at home:

Modem connected to 2 routers:

1. router (802.11b/g) => old one. It's still used by creditcard processing terminals, finger print tracking devices etc we have at our business at home.

2. AirPort Extreme (802.11n) => new one. This one's used for the actual computing. Our iMac and my MacBook Pro connect to the AirPort Extreme.

The AirPort Extreme is located right next to the iMac, so on the iMac we get a very clear, fast signal.

My MacBook Pro however, is usually located in another room, separated from the AirPort Extreme by quite a lot of walls and furniture.
    When I have my MBP open, the signal's quite good, but when I run it closed (clamshell mode) when hooked up to my 20" Cinema Display, the signal is REALLY weak.

Now, the actual question:
    Will it help if I install an AirPort Express in the room where the MBP is (by adding the Express to the existing network, set up by the Extreme) so the MBP has a source nearby?

Or won't this improve the signal at all?

If not, is this a known issue with new unibody MBP's? And are there ways to get a better signal? (with or without having to run it in clamshell mode)

Thanks in advance

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

The Express should help, but it should be installed in an area that has good signal strength so if it doesn't work right in the same room, try putting it in a more "in between" location.