Will this Macbook be ok for iphone development

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mac n Fries, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Mac n Fries macrumors newbie

I thought it would be but now that I have bought it I am worried :eek: I have never used a Mac and I do not have it yet. I just want to use it for iphone development.

It has the Intel Core 2 Duo but only 2ghz, not the 2.16. Is that going to make a huge difference?

It only has 1gb ram and I'm fine with upgrading it. I think I can upgrade it to 4gbs (2 sticks)?

It has Mac OS X 10.5, Leopard. This is the part I don't understand. I know there are higher versions but do you have to pay for a higher version or is it just an update? From what I understand I'll be fine with 10.5.

The hard drive is only 80gb. Will I also need to upgrade that?

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

2.0 is the clock speed. Unless you're doing very intense work, you won't notice a difference between that and 2.16

RAM wise, upgrading is certainly a good idea but what RAM you need and how much it can hold are dependent on the model which I don't know off-hand.

Leopard is 2 OS' old. There are now Snow Leopard and Lion. They are both paid upgrades (around 30 bucks new). Personally I would suggest upgrading to SL but not bothering with Lion. Older machines don't work all that well with Lion and the features you gain are limited by your hardware. SL would work fine for your purposes. Leopard would as well though so it's your choice ultimately.

80GB is plenty for the OS and applications. If you have a lot of files you'll need to get an external but it's not like that's too challenging. The Hard Drive in macbook's is easy to upgrade though so if you feel you need a bigger hard drive (or maybe an SSD for a nice speed boost) it can be upgraded easily enough.

Lastly, welcome to the world of mac :D

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend upgrading the RAM and the OS to 10.6 Snow Leopard.

You can keep get a larger hard drive if you need more space.

4. Mac n Fries thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! It makes sense that it wouldn't make a big difference. I was worried that I was really cutting it short getting this laptop.

I found 2 sticks of 1gb ddr2 ram for $20 so I bought that. I wanted to get 4gb total but it was $80, which is fine but as I start upgrading this I might as well buy a new one.

What a relief that it's only $30 to upgrade! I was worried it was around $100. So that is not a problem. Thank you for telling me to get snow lion and not the newest. I don't think I need any fancy features.

That's good I'll be ok with 80gb. Again, I thought I might struggle if I had to upgrade and it needed more. I actually found a 160gb hard drive for about $50 that came from a macbook pro. I don't know if it would fit but that seems to be the price to upgrade to 160gb. I'll see how that goes and upgrade if it's slow.

I guess I'm good then! It's funny but I'm really excited to get it use a Mac. Thanks for the welcome :)

After I posted this I ordered 2 sticks of 1gb ram, so I should be alright. I'll also upgrade it as soon as it arrives. I didn't know the different OS versions. I had enough trouble understanding the models and what years they changed lol.