Will this Macbook Pro meet my needs? Please help!

Darryl765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm using a PC with FL Studio as DAW, but I'm planning to transfer to a Mac to work with Logic. Since I'll be using this computer for deejaying (Traktor PRO & Rekordbox) too, I'll be needing a powerful, portable Mac. Therefore I'm asking you guys whether the specs of this MBP will meet my needs. I might use this Macbook for video-editing and photoshop/dreamweaver in the future too.

Macbook Pro 15" specs:
2.4GHz Intel Core i5
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Will this Macbook Pro be able to handle these programs without having problems running smoothly?

And I have one more question, is there a big difference in performance between the 2,4GHz and 2,53GHz model?

Thanks!

Dyango

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Spain
I can't really guide you on your specific needs but I don't see that MBP running low on power too soon,maybe you might want to upgrade sightly RAM or HDD. If processing power is a must you could consider -if it is on your budget- the i7 but, in my opinion, there would not be much of a difference between the base and the mid-range model (2,4 GHz and 2,53 GHz)

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
I can't really guide you on your specific needs but I don't see that MBP running low on power too soon,maybe you might want to upgrade sightly RAM or HDD. If processing power is a must you could consider -if it is on your budget- the i7 but, in my opinion, there would not be much of a difference between the base and the mid-range model (2,4 GHz and 2,53 GHz)
If you're worried about the two i5 Processors, the 2.4 and 2.53, don't be. However, the i7 does have hyperthreading, so it is faster, noticably, I don't know, as I've only used the i5 15"
If you have the budget, i'd say go for the high-resolution i7 model. If you're trying to save some money, just go for the base i5 2.4, as I think it will fit your needs perfectly.

Darryl765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Thanks all! I really appreciate you anwering my questions this fast!

A 15" i7 model is beyond my budget, so I think I'll stick with the base i5-model. Maybe in a year or so, I might upgrade my RAM and HDD (hopefully the SSD's are cheaper by then!)

I'm more worried about running Logic. I'm wondering how many VST's and tracks I can load until my Macbook starts lagging. I want to able to produce my music smoothly, that's my #1 priority.

And about the i7 vs. i5 thingy. Do you guys think the extra horsepower is worth its cash?

Thanks!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Thanks all! I really appreciate you anwering my questions this fast!

A 15" i7 model is beyond my budget, so I think I'll stick with the base i5-model. Maybe in a year or so, I might upgrade my RAM and HDD (hopefully the SSD's are cheaper by then!)

I'm more worried about running Logic. I'm wondering how many VST's and tracks I can load until my Macbook starts lagging. I want to able to produce my music smoothly, that's my #1 priority.

And about the i7 vs. i5 thingy. Do you guys think the extra horsepower is worth its cash?

Thanks!
No. Spend it on a faster HD and more memory.

Darryl765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Thanks all. I'm pretty convinced now, I think the 2,4GHz model will fulfill my needs.

Are there any other people on this forum who have experiences with Logic on a Macbook Pro?

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
Thanks all. I'm pretty convinced now, I think the 2,4GHz model will fulfill my needs.

Are there any other people on this forum who have experiences with Logic on a Macbook Pro?
I have a June 2009 MBP 15". Its 2.8Ghz. Traktor runs on my old iMac G5 just fine...unless you want über low latency of 5 ms or less you dont need that fast a mac.

I wish I had bought a 17" with antiglare...17" because i need the 4 decks now (i wasnt as good 1 year ago!) and anti glare because club lighting reflects off it, especially lasers INTO MY EYEZZZZ