Will this Macbook Pro meet my needs? Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Darryl765, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Darryl765 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm using a PC with FL Studio as DAW, but I'm planning to transfer to a Mac to work with Logic. Since I'll be using this computer for deejaying (Traktor PRO & Rekordbox) too, I'll be needing a powerful, portable Mac. Therefore I'm asking you guys whether the specs of this MBP will meet my needs. I might use this Macbook for video-editing and photoshop/dreamweaver in the future too.

Macbook Pro 15" specs:
    2.4GHz Intel Core i5
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Will this Macbook Pro be able to handle these programs without having problems running smoothly?

And I have one more question, is there a big difference in performance between the 2,4GHz and 2,53GHz model?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That should be just fine. 2.53GHz is ~5% faster so not worth it

3. Dyango macrumors member

I can't really guide you on your specific needs but I don't see that MBP running low on power too soon,maybe you might want to upgrade sightly RAM or HDD. If processing power is a must you could consider -if it is on your budget- the i7 but, in my opinion, there would not be much of a difference between the base and the mid-range model (2,4 GHz and 2,53 GHz)

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

If you're worried about the two i5 Processors, the 2.4 and 2.53, don't be. However, the i7 does have hyperthreading, so it is faster, noticably, I don't know, as I've only used the i5 15"
    If you have the budget, i'd say go for the high-resolution i7 model. If you're trying to save some money, just go for the base i5 2.4, as I think it will fit your needs perfectly.

5. Darryl765 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all! I really appreciate you anwering my questions this fast!

A 15" i7 model is beyond my budget, so I think I'll stick with the base i5-model. Maybe in a year or so, I might upgrade my RAM and HDD (hopefully the SSD's are cheaper by then!)

I'm more worried about running Logic. I'm wondering how many VST's and tracks I can load until my Macbook starts lagging. I want to able to produce my music smoothly, that's my #1 priority.

And about the i7 vs. i5 thingy. Do you guys think the extra horsepower is worth its cash?

Thanks!

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

No. Spend it on a faster HD and more memory.

7. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

The small speed difference will not be noticeable.

8. Darryl765 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. I'm pretty convinced now, I think the 2,4GHz model will fulfill my needs.

Are there any other people on this forum who have experiences with Logic on a Macbook Pro?

9. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

I have a June 2009 MBP 15". Its 2.8Ghz. Traktor runs on my old iMac G5 just fine...unless you want über low latency of 5 ms or less you dont need that fast a mac.

I wish I had bought a 17" with antiglare...17" because i need the 4 decks now (i wasnt as good 1 year ago!) and anti glare because club lighting reflects off it, especially lasers INTO MY EYEZZZZ