Will this mess up my mbp 13? Failed battery calibration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taiwanesee, Feb 3, 2010.

1. taiwanesee macrumors newbie

Firstly I would like to say wsup to all the people in the forum, I'm new here and barely got my mbp 13 a week and a half ago and it's pretty cool. But here's my question.

Last night I drained my battery and let the
    mbp die and left it alone for 5 hours. This morning I charged it and left to grab some breakfast and when I get back my Mbp was not plugged in because my mom unplugged the cable to vacum LOL so I was wondering ifthat will mess up the battery life? I plugged it back in and accidently pulled it out twice ! And I would say the mbp only charged for 45 mins before my mom unplugged it and now maybe about an hour-1hr30mins. Now I need to take it to school to use and on te side button with the green dots it's off by 1 so it's almost fully charged. Will it mess up the mbp's battery? and should I recalibrate again tonight? Thanks

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

The way to take care with Batteries in general is Draining them than filling them completely and than draining them, now this was an accident, next time be more careful and better let it charge at night

4. taiwanesee thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! another question.

hey thanks for the quick reply, so like i said the battery status (green dots) was at 7 and i turned it on to use for like 10 mins and it dropped down to making it 4 dots, am i just trippin? and before on iStats the battery health was at 98% the night i let the battery drain out and it dropped to 92% today after the recalibration fail .. wtf? i should re calibrate tonight huh? sorry for the noob questions barely just got a mac and its the first one so i dont want to mess it up.

5. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

No it's not. The best way is to just use it and top it up. Only do a full empty/refill once every month or two.

Edit: If I were you, I'd stop worrying about it and just calibrate it next month or something. Try not to worry!

6. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I deleted coconut Battery because I was getting obsessive over battery health percentages. Just enjoy your computer :) It has killer battery life either way, compared to most PCs (1hour or 2 hours at most)

7. m85476585 macrumors 65816

That's not the case with Lithium batteries. In fact, draining them completely could be worse than draining them partially. Leaving them plugged in all the time is bad too because they loose health if they are kept at 100% charge (although they won't overcharge).

the calibration probably didn't work, but don't worry about it unless the battery life indicator isn't accurate enough.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm