Will this monitor work with my G4?

paulwgraber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Can I use an apple cinema A1082 display with my G4 M8570? My old G4 display went out.

Will I need a power adapter for my monitor as I can get one for like $20 but it doen't have a power block with it.

paulwgraber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Could I use my ADC powerblock from my old monitor on it? Otherwise Ill just fine one on ebay I guess.

Amethyst1

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2015
Could I use my ADC powerblock from my old monitor on it? Otherwise Ill just fine one on ebay I guess.
If you're referring to the DVI to ADC adapter (A1006), then the answer is no, not without modifying the adapter. Probably better to sell the DVI to ADC adapter (they're somewhat sought after) and buy the correct power adapter for the A1082.

Reactions: eyoungren

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The proper power adapters for the aluminum cinema displays are often more expensive than the displays themselves.

I have a couple running on 24V LED lighting transformers from Ebay that were $10-20 each. This includes the pair of A1082s on the MP 1,1 in my office.

Cutting the proprietary Apple plug off the end of the wire harness will reveal 3 wires-a positive and negative(I've seen different colors used) and then a skinny gray one. The gray one can be left alone.

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
The proper power adapters for the aluminum cinema displays are often more expensive than the displays themselves.

I have a couple running on 24V LED lighting transformers from Ebay that were $10-20 each. This includes the pair of A1082s on the MP 1,1 in my office.

Cutting the proprietary Apple plug off the end of the wire harness will reveal 3 wires-a positive and negative(I've seen different colors used) and then a skinny gray one. The gray one can be left alone.
Thanks for sharing bunn. This certainly sounds like my kind of solution :)

I have seen various cinema displays going for cheap on the bay without their original PSU’s which turned me off the idea of purchasing... but now.. maybe I should :cool:

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Thanks for sharing bunn. This certainly sounds like my kind of solution :)

I have seen various cinema displays going for cheap on the bay without their original PSU’s which turned me off the idea of purchasing... but now.. maybe I should :cool:
Personally, I believe the price on these PSUs are artificially high. Like anything else, people discovered that the Aluminum Cinema Displays won't work without one of these and that alternatives aren't an easy option for average people.

So, jack up the price. Because they can.

swamprock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Funnily enough, the local recycler is sitting on a large pile of DVI to ADC adapters at $30 each that aren't selling. If money were my god, I'd snatch them up and put them on the 'bay. I grabbed two for myself and left the rest. One was even boxed and unused, with the protective plastic still attached to the adapter. My motivations lie elsewhere, though...

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
@eyoungren: Same goes for the DVI to ADC adapter...
I've seen the price drop on those though. Used to be you could never find one for less than $100. When the price dropped to $50 one time I got two.

Now I've seen them going for around $20-30. Unless that's changed lately?

I don't think there can be many more of those out there as well as the displays that need them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.