Will this monitor work with my G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by paulwgraber, Oct 7, 2018.

1. paulwgraber macrumors regular

Can I use an apple cinema A1082 display with my G4 M8570? My old G4 display went out.

Will I need a power adapter for my monitor as I can get one for like $20 but it doen't have a power block with it.

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yes, you can use that monitor. It's got the standard DVI connector. As long as the video card in your MDD has a DVI port.

And yes, it requires the power block to work.

3. paulwgraber thread starter macrumors regular

Could I use my ADC powerblock from my old monitor on it? Otherwise Ill just fine one on ebay I guess.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I don't believe so. The aluminum Cinema displays require the specific power supply that they shipped with.

5. Amethyst1 macrumors 6502

Amethyst1

If you're referring to the DVI to ADC adapter (A1006), then the answer is no, not without modifying the adapter. Probably better to sell the DVI to ADC adapter (they're somewhat sought after) and buy the correct power adapter for the A1082.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

The proper power adapters for the aluminum cinema displays are often more expensive than the displays themselves.

I have a couple running on 24V LED lighting transformers from Ebay that were $10-20 each. This includes the pair of A1082s on the MP 1,1 in my office.

Cutting the proprietary Apple plug off the end of the wire harness will reveal 3 wires-a positive and negative(I've seen different colors used) and then a skinny gray one. The gray one can be left alone.

7. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

Thanks for sharing bunn. This certainly sounds like my kind of solution :)

I have seen various cinema displays going for cheap on the bay without their original PSU’s which turned me off the idea of purchasing... but now.. maybe I should :cool:

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Personally, I believe the price on these PSUs are artificially high. Like anything else, people discovered that the Aluminum Cinema Displays won't work without one of these and that alternatives aren't an easy option for average people.

So, jack up the price. Because they can.

9. Amethyst1 macrumors 6502

Amethyst1

10. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Funnily enough, the local recycler is sitting on a large pile of DVI to ADC adapters at $30 each that aren't selling. If money were my god, I'd snatch them up and put them on the 'bay. I grabbed two for myself and left the rest. One was even boxed and unused, with the protective plastic still attached to the adapter. My motivations lie elsewhere, though...

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I've seen the price drop on those though. Used to be you could never find one for less than $100. When the price dropped to $50 one time I got two.

Now I've seen them going for around $20-30. Unless that's changed lately?

I don't think there can be many more of those out there as well as the displays that need them.